Pedalling Dreams: The Raleigh Story

It was "OK".

Dumbfounded, though, that there wasn't a single mention or photo of THE most successful, longlived and influential Raleigh ever made and indeed of any single bicycle ever made, the Raleigh Popular No. 1 Roadster. Just astonishing, THE bicycle of the Developing World and The British Empire from 1911 to 1992 wasn't even mentioned. Once.

And not sure why Eileen Sheridan was even in a documentary about Raleigh... she was the star champion of the Raleigh anti-Christ, Hercules!

Peter Kohler
Washington DC USA

kohl57@yahoo.com":hwu4etpd said:
It was "OK".

Dumbfounded, though, that there wasn't a single mention or photo of THE most successful, longlived and influential Raleigh ever made and indeed of any single bicycle ever made, the Raleigh Popular No. 1 Roadster. Just astonishing, THE bicycle of the Developing World and The British Empire from 1911 to 1992 wasn't even mentioned. Once.

And not sure why Eileen Sheridan was even in a documentary about Raleigh... she was the star champion of the Raleigh anti-Christ, Hercules!

Peter Kohler
Washington DC USA

I think you should bear in mind pigman's comment, which I second, that it was aimed at the the cycling or even the non-cycling lay person.

The BBC should be applauded for making it.

Rk.

Re:

I agree with RK. An hour in documentary terms isn't a long time so there's a lot to cram in. Even my Mrs who has very little interest in the history of British cycling found this an entertaining watch. Hopefully there might be a few spin-offs. By the way, that guy on ball bearing duty was simply incredible! Wonder if he got a repetitive strain injury?!

I bought it by chance and enjoyed it as did my wife it put raleigh in a different light on my bike list they have a long history it is amazing how they soaked up the other brands holds worth viking carlton all the brands i remember as a kid i then they get taken over by a bigger fish as with an awful lot of British companies i actually own a raleigh sirocco i have used it as a hack bike but it is a good ride i will give it that.
The funny thing is i bought it second hand and i cannot remember where from
andy

Re:

Actually, Raleigh never took over Viking or Holdsworth. BSA was the last company Raleigh bought out as an independent company itself that was in 1956. Carlton was in 1960 but when Raleigh itself was absorbed by Tube Investments. TI actually bought out far more independent cycle companies than Raleigh

Re: Re:

kohl57@yahoo.com":2jzwe8sl said:
Actually, Raleigh never took over Viking or Holdsworth. BSA was the last company Raleigh bought out as an independent company itself that was in 1956. Carlton was in 1960 but when Raleigh itself was absorbed by Tube Investments. TI actually bought out far more independent cycle companies than Raleigh
Thanks for that always learning
andy

There's a chart somewhere trying to make all of this seem "simple" but it rather looks like a plate of spaghetti in the end!

But everyone seems to "blame" Raleigh for buying out everyone else when they overlook it, too, was bought out by Tube Investments which bought out everyone else beforehand. In the end, the only truly independent British mass market bike maker was Dawes

roadking":3ky18nk4 said:
kohl57@yahoo.com":3ky18nk4 said:
It was "OK".

Peter Kohler
Washington DC USA

I think you should bear in mind pigman's comment, which I second, that it was aimed at the the cycling or even the non-cycling lay person.

The BBC should be applauded for making it.

Rk.

I enjoyed the programme and agree with the comment that feedback to BBC in appreciation would be good. To that end I have accessed the BBC comment page and entered my thanks, in the hope that more cycling features will be considered.

I hope that everybody of a similar mind will do the same,

BBC front page, bottom of screen - contact the BBC, bottom right - send us an appreciation.

This is to record my pleasure and appreciation of the recent story of Raleigh. In a short 60 minutes the makers have managed to include most of the important historical milestones in this famous British bicycle company. In today's world where cycling is a leisure hobby (rather than everyday transportation), more coverage of cycling can only be good. The clue is in the experience of the founder who took up cycling and lived longer than expected. More can be done to spread the message.

Back