PDM TVT 1990 season

Re:

Thanks Jamie, one last spray of the black paint should finish it and I also have to touch up the striping on the rear stays.

Re:

Hi Thomas,

I looked at two other forks a Nashbar - which was too wide from a side view and the Look fork - the crown of the Look fork is slightly different, the rest of the fork is a good match

Attachments

• concordepdmsun3.jpeg
    concordepdmsun3.jpeg
    49.9 KB · Views: 399
Re:

Just waiting on two decals to complete, hopefully I will get these on the frame next weekend

Attachments

• concordepdmsun21.jpg
    concordepdmsun21.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 391
Re:

Hi Thomas

On the components, I will look again at the rear deraileur, a 1990 C Record or 92 Athena 8 speed might look better. They look similar.
I am happy with the front deraileur, it has the adjustable band-on. I have the C-Record version on my Greg Lemond TVT and they are expensive and hard to get in any case.

Re:

Interestingly the chorus adjustable front deraileur was listed as part of the C-Record Group in the 1988 catalogue

Attachments

• chorus adjustable front deraileur.jpeg
    chorus adjustable front deraileur.jpeg
    43.1 KB · Views: 384
Pat yes, I know ...but this is for my opinion the simple and cheaper version, normally you need for C-Record type especially
the version with the graved Shield Logo and the flat front baffle. And absolutley you will build a most authentic PDM teambike
replica

I have done within my 1990 Team Z TVT92 (with the divided steering tube) with a Record type braze version in combination
with a simple no-name clamp-on adapter. The origin clamp-on Record type version is very difficult to find and the braze version
with adapter look more better than the Chorus type clamp-on FD

Re:

Hi Thomas,

Yes, the C Record front deraileur does look better, the chorus looks more thinner and more modern if anything!!

I will look at it again and try and find some photos!!

Pat

An interesting build that has captured my attention! I love Concorde, and of course TVT.

I think the accuracy of components will pay off in the end, and any compromises should always be small and the least visible. Things like front and rear mechs are too visible to get wrong when you've gone to so much trouble with the rest.

Without spoiling the party on what is a great build, I believe that the monoblock TVT was the last edition and built from 92 to 93. The earlier versions were used extensively by many pro teams, and the PDM ones could often be seen with painted head tube lugs too. If you carefully study some of the grainy photographs available, then you'll just about see that the head tube is flared at the top and bottom on many of them which reinforces the belief that they simply painted the alloy lugs and stuck the Concorde head badge on.

A few pro teams got in trouble for using the superior TVT frame design rather than the heavier steel frames they were sponsored to ride. The Banesto and Pinarello partnership is likely the most documented for this because they were claiming the most prestigious wins on a frame that clearly wasn't a Pinarello, and consequently forced to use a steel Pinarello to cross the line in Paris!

Another lesser known fact was that the pros would usually insist on using the higher modular carbon version. This was stamped TVT in the lugwork to identify it as being 20% stiffer, and lighter than its high resistance carbon brother. Greg LeMond and the Z team would almost always use the HM version, and it's often something overlooked by thos wishing to build replica team bikes. That said, many teams went as particular as LeMond, and a plain HR carbon TVT was way better in the mountains than any steel frame they'd been used to riding before.

What are the stampings on the BB? The year of manufacture is within the top line of markings. The bottom markings refer to size.

Back