PC connection help..

You really shouldn't beusing WEP (or internet explorer for that matter!) - it's not secure in the slightest. But that won't stop it from working for the mo. I assume that you're still using another machine via the same router, so you know your internet connection's up?

Try right-clicking the wireless icon in the system tray, and selecting 'repair'.

Failing that, try the following (from memory here, so appologies if something's off!):
Double-click the wireless system tray icon
Left-click "change advanced settings"
On the second tab, check that "use windows to manage wireless" is ticked
Under preferred networks, double-click your home network
Check that you've got the right WEP settings (probably auto on your router, so use 'Open' on your PC) & key
On the Authentication tab, untick "enable 802.1x authentication" if that was ticked
Hit Ok as many times as necessary...

Any joy?

From his description he has connected to wireless, the problem is explorer is trying to dial a connection because that's what it's set to.

Si, like I said, delete that dial up connection in internet explorer settings, set it to never dial a connection and put no for proxy servers.

It really is easy, no complicated setting to mess with!

Easy_Rider":vrb2c64g said:
From his description he has connected to wireless, the problem is explorer is trying to dial a connection because that's what it's set to.

Si, like I said, delete that dial up connection in internet explorer settings, set it to never dial a connection and put no for proxy servers.

It really is easy, no complicated setting to mess with!

Default would be for it to be set to dial up if another connection wasn't available...

& a wireless connection will show as 'connected' when it's not properly authenticated.

You might well be right though - it's not exactly easy to know from here! :LOL:

I have wireless connection through the mac no problem

The PC is showing in the right hand corner the wireless card and seems to be working..

Where do I find internet explorer settings :LOL: :LOL:

Sack Internet Explorer off & get Firefox once you do get online with it. Firefox is a lot more secure than IE, faster too.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/products/

Since my PC died a few months ago I've been using a mac & can't remember how to do owt on a PC now without physically doing it on the PC!

From the Tools Menu in IE select "Internet Options"
Go to the Connections Tab
Select the option that says "Never dial a connection"
Click OK

Should stop it trying to use a dial-up link

You may also have to tinker with the options behind the "LAN Settings" button on that tab if the machine has previously had a Proxy set up but this should get you up and away. :)

Back