Parker Racing Cycles

Re: Re:

Dancjwood":zvxnpucs said:
It's much worse if you look the other way, a work in progress. My post on the mtb forum documents how messy the dining room is.

Good work :D

Funnily enough I drove past the old Parkers Mail Order warehouse (barn) just this morning, small world...

Used to be a proper treat to drop in there with the old man when I was a nipper :cool:

Re: Parker frames

There was a Parker that built frames for Hobbs of Barbican. He used to build the Hobbs 'New Superbe' frames in the 1940s which morphed into the hand cut lugged Hobbs 'Blue Riband' frame. Hobbs 'Blue Riband' frames were initially either lugged or bronze welded, but the 'Blue Riband Professional' built with Nervex 'Professional' lugs was introduced around 1952. I have an example built by Mr Parker which was his own frame and the frame number is unique and would suggest it was the last frame he built at Hobbs and was used as a sample of his work to show to a prospective employer. My frame came from his widow via a third party. He was living and building frames on the Isle of Wight up until he died in the first decade of this century. I don't have my notes to hand but I think his first name may have been Les. I know that he was building frames in the 1990s so it may be one of his. I have two of his frames, a 1949 Hobbs New Superbe and 1952 Hobbs Blue Ribband Professional. I have not seen any of his later frames though. He seems to have been a very good framebuilder on the evidence available to me.

Back