Paglioli 1948(ish) Cambio Corsa bike

Jesper

Onnnne Huuuunnnndrreeed and Eigggghhhhty
I recently got a Campy cambio corsa bike. I presume the brand is fairly rare since I have yet to come across another. I bought the bike from a very old gentleman (original owner) in Modena Italy which is also where the brand was based. The bike never left its hometown which I find kind of cool. Only down side is that many parts were swapped out over the years. The Campy shifting gear and QRs, Fratelli Brivio hubs, and the Universal brakes are original. I thought the brakes might have been replaced because the front and rear were not the same model (rear appears to be Mod. 39, front Sport), but I see many bikes from that era with the same type set-ups. The brakes are certainly period correct for the year.
I was quite lucky to have a friend who lives in Modena since the bike was for sale as a local pick-up item on the Subito website. He also found an original head badge for it (none on the frame).

I will be receiving another cambio corsa bike shortly: a Gloria Garabaldini which appears to be all or nearly original. I will open a new thread when it arrives.

Photos to follow shortly.

Last edited:
I don't know what the marks "1" and "9"/"6" on the BB shell nozzle or steerer tube signify. Possibly a builder's marks, code to match frame with fork during assembly, or less likely a date code.

That was a common italian seat lug, the flared or blended part is just the original shape of the lug.
As I am possibly the last racing person alive to use the later Paris Roubaix gear in a genuine road race, I would like to find a complete bike from the era with its back pedal change. The prices have risen sharply in the last few years.
People talk about "suicide" hand control front changers, but to the user they were no more hazardous than putting a bottle in a down tube cage.
But when I used a campagnolo left handlebar control for the front changer with one hand while undoing the rear wheel with the other, then pedalling forward with the back wheel undone to change the front I think I was given some space in the bunch.

Keith

I saw one on marktplaats.nl, a Dutch ebay like website. It came with a front derailleur as well, and wooden rims. He is asking 19000 (thousand) euros for it. About 16,500 pounds.

I was curious if the earlier 2 rod system could be used in combination with a 2 cog front crankset.
The frame has the "19" tooth drop-out which I think was introduced circa '47-'48. Is that the same d-o used for the single rod Paris-Roubaix?
Would there be enough adjustment to remove the chain slack?
I was thinking of adding a chainstay mounted tensioner to compensate; not sure it could properly work or not.

I used 14 to 24 (5 speed) and 48 52, and could get the extreme gears, but the change is not accurate, sometimes jumping over 2 cogs. The big improvement with the Paris Roubaix was the adjustable cam and ratchet that slacken the chain.
The only practical way to use the front changer is with a left hand handlebar end control, so that you can operate both at the same time.

Back