Pace RC30 restoration.

Srv72

Devout Dirtbag
Good evening everyone,
I managed to buy a very scruffy Pace RC30 fork - the series with the chromed legs.
The legs are pitted and need to be rechromed. The legs and drop outs are bonded somehow, and need to be separated.
Has anyone ever tried to do this? I’m thinking heat and lots of grunting, but eager for tips!

Thank you.

Not sure I'd trust them after debonding - could you remove the chrome and paint them instead of trying to get them re-chromed?

I'd be reluctant to separate these. Not sure if they rely solely on epoxy or a bit of interference fit too? How bad is the pitting? I have a pair that I sanded down and rattle canned a few coats on and you can't see any evidence of pitting now. I flatted off between coats. Although obviously it's not chrome finish. It's usually very difficult & expensive to re chrome rusty stuff to a high standard. Might involve excessive wall thickness reduction to buff out or many base copper dips to hide it. Be very careful sanding or cleaning rusty chrome and nickel plating, dust mask on, think about dust control and removal etc. It's not very nice stuff.
Not sure how much a frame builder would charge for 2 straight tubes with a brake boss on?

I'd be reluctant to separate these. Not sure if they rely solely on epoxy or a bit of interference fit too? How bad is the pitting? I have a pair that I sanded down and rattle canned a few coats on and you can't see any evidence of pitting now. I flatted off between coats. Although obviously it's not chrome finish. It's usually very difficult & expensive to re chrome rusty stuff to a high standard. Might involve excessive wall thickness reduction to buff out or many base copper dips to hide it. Be very careful sanding or cleaning rusty chrome and nickel plating, dust mask on, think about dust control and removal etc. It's not very nice stuff.
Not sure how much a frame builder would charge for 2 straight tubes with a brake boss on?
All really good points and things to think about.
I gently sand back, with suitable precautions, and a careful respray might be the way to go.

Here's my pair done with satin finish Hammerite, masking tape still mostly in place. If the pitting is severe then a matt/satin finish will help to hide any blemishes rather than a glossy finish which will be more revealing. A pair of stickers later and 99% of people will never know.
Be aware the paint may scratch a bit more easily off the chrome but we are all very careful with our retro bikes aren't we ;).
IMG_20230907_221849.jpg

Here's my pair done with satin finish Hammerite, masking tape still mostly in place. If the pitting is severe then a matt/satin finish will help to hide any blemishes rather than a glossy finish which will be more revealing. A pair of stickers later and 99% of people will never know.
Be aware the paint may scratch a bit more easily off the chrome but we are all very careful with our retro bikes aren't we ;).
View attachment 776182
They looks great. And you’ve masked off the bit that inserts into the crown?

nice coincidence , I was about to post that I spotted a reslly neat looking set of RC30s on one the fbk. mtb pages painted to match a aquafade Yo Eddy… there was another set of gen2 / mk2 RC30s on here ages painted white that I thought looked very cool.

Not sure if it makes a difference but the shiny finish on RC30s is nickel plating rather than chrome?
I think Argos Cycles still offer re-chroming as part of their refurb. service.

They looks great. And you’ve masked off the bit that inserts into the crown?

Yes I masked the aluminium dropout, the upper area that plugs into the crown and the brake boss pivot area, the finish depends on how bad the corrosion is and how many coats are applied. you need more and more coats to hide more corrosion. Can you post a picture of your fork legs?
@Bawgixer just done a great job on his RC30's too. 👍
For comparison a friend of mine has just paid in the region of £700 to have two motorcycle mudguards rechromed. o_O

Back