Pace RC30 so close and yet …

Tommylurve

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
So I managed to get hold of a pristine set of 2nd gen RC30 legs, I thought I was being clever by replacing the rc36 stanctions that came with the frame that are crimped on one side from the previous owner, BUT the drop outs are centre on the RC30’s and medial on the old rc36. Do I need a different crown or is there a cheat. I think I know the answer already 🤦🏼‍♂️. 1 inch steerer btw

Attachments

• IMG_5019.jpeg
    IMG_5019.jpeg
    372.9 KB · Views: 28
Best get a gullwing crown for RC30 or RC35s.
That's the answer unless you want to go down the bespoke axle route. An oversize crown can easily be shimmed down to a 1" steerer. The proper 1" crown will be flat across the front and back with no bulge in the centre.
Dropouts were moved to the inner edge of the fork to accommodate fatter suspension hubs. Lots of early big hubs such as Bullseye will not fit in RC30's /35's as the flanges interfere with the legs.

The correct solution is the correct crown. While 1 inch versions were a thing, so we're 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 with shims.

I'm not suggesting this is a good idea, but you could use a rear axle, cut down a bit and some spacers to take up the difference between the cone and locking outer, and invent (and patent) a new standard, as I feel there aren't enough and we could do with more 😁

Back