Pace RC200 - Refurb Questions

G Derwent

Retro Newbie
So after about twenty years of patiently waiting, I finally got my hands on a Pace RC200 last week, in British Racing Green! I have begun stripping it down and have come across a few things which I could do with some advice on. I would really welcome any pointers anyone out there might have so that I can get this bike up and running and take it out for a test ride!!

The frame number is RC0621. Does this make it an F5?

The forks have front mounted brakes, can these clamp brake bosses be flipped to the rear as per the original design?

There is a scrape to the rear drive side chain stay which is quite deep but not right through the tube. Apart from the fact it is damn ugly does anyone think this is a serious problem to the integrity of the frame? And has anyone managed to repair / fill something like this on an alu frame?

The rear V Brake bosses screw into the frame and [I assume] clamps the disk which has the locator hole for the brake in it. However I am struggling to get the disc to hold in place with enough friction to resist the turning moment of the brake when it is activated, so the disc spins and the brake then has nothing to spring against. Should the bosses be held in place with locktite, or are they the wrong type altogether? Also should the hole in the disc be located horizontally, i.e. closest to the tyre?

I look forward to hearing from anyone that might be able to offer advice on the above!

Thanks

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 621
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 621
  • Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    54.6 KB · Views: 621
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 621
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 621
Re:

I think the serial number makes yours an F6. There will be more numbers, probably hidden under the plastic cable guide on the bottom bracket.

Yes you can swap the front brake mounts around so they face the rear, as Pace intended.

Not sure about that damage (that's the Seat stay by the way ;) ), it doesn't look too bad, if it were a steel frame I'd say there would be no problem, but as it's box section aluminium I'm not too sure of the Wall thickness on that tubing, maybe someone else on here will be able to offer advice.

I think I may have the rear brake bosses from my old RC200 frame as I removed them and fitted blanking plugs when I upgraded the rear to disc brake.
From memory the stud and disc were all one piece, joined together, so the disc didn't rotate.... I may be wrong about that though.
I can have a look when I'm back at home tomorrow evening, I'll dig out the rear brake bosses, if you need them then let me know and I'll send them to you, I don't have the Pace anymore so have no need for them anyway.

Hi Jimo

Thanks for the quick response. It would be great to get the correct brakes bosses if you still have them! Let me know cost for postage etc.

Thanks

See if another member knows about the brake bosses, it's been a while since I had a look at them to be honest .

Brake bosses are fine, you just need to tighten the studs up and leave the hole in the disc in a useful place for the brake spring.

Re:

Aah, another green Pace at last :D

Remove the brake bosses and clean the seperate parts; pivots and spring plates and refit them. Use a small amount of Loctite on the plates if you like or fit a thin washer on the pivot, sometimes the thrad on the pivot can bottom out in the hole.

I have some nice titanium spring plates if you would like some, wont rust like the steel ones ;)

Back