Giant MCM Team

Dazz1

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

Does anyone know what year this bike is? I just picked it up today. It has a place for V brakes on the rear and disc. XTR dual controllers, XTR rear deral.., please view the pics for more info. I’m not sure if any of the components are original or not. So far I’ve found that the front brake doesn’t work and the stem bracket is split across the front. The rest seems ok. Feel free to give any general comments or suggestions
img_0756-jpeg.801590
IMG_0761.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0756.jpeg
    IMG_0756.jpeg
    464.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0762.jpeg
    IMG_0762.jpeg
    296.2 KB · Views: 6
I've always fancied one of this frames. I had a cadex which was the precursor to this, bonded carbon rather than the full of the MCM.

I'd put the bike between 03 and 06 due to the components. The xtr isn't shimanos finest, I'm sure it works fine but the shifters aren't they pretty and the rear mech rapid rise.

If I owned it, I'd replace the gearing with xtr m972, replace the stem with a black one, same for the seat post and I'd be happy enough.

Though I'd probably get some more modern forks, I kind of like the white, but maybe stealth black. Later sids are 32mm and less flexy than the ones on there, though if they work and don't need a service (you'll struggle to find anyone to do them these days), then stick with them.

As you've got disc wheels, I'd look at some hopes, mini, race or if you like a chunky lever aesthetic, hope tech. Nowt wrong with Shimano of course. I quite like magura mt series with csrbotechture (fancy plastic really) levers. Light and powerful, but don't crash much as they can break more easily then alloy equivalents.

Or ride as is until stuff wears out, then replace.

I've always fancied one of this frames. I had a cadex which was the precursor to this, bonded carbon rather than the full of the MCM.

I'd put the bike between 03 and 06 due to the components. The xtr isn't shimanos finest, I'm sure it works fine but the shifters aren't they pretty and the rear mech rapid rise.

If I owned it, I'd replace the gearing with xtr m972, replace the stem with a black one, same for the seat post and I'd be happy enough.

Though I'd probably get some more modern forks, I kind of like the white, but maybe stealth black. Later sids are 32mm and less flexy than the ones on there, though if they work and don't need a service (you'll struggle to find anyone to do them these days), then stick with them.

As you've got disc wheels, I'd look at some hopes, mini, race or if you like a chunky lever aesthetic, hope tech. Nowt wrong with Shimano of course. I quite like magura mt series with csrbotechture (fancy plastic really) levers. Light and powerful, but don't crash much as they can break more easily then alloy equivalents.

Or ride as is until stuff wears out, then replace.
Thank you very much for your comments. It shifts and rides really nicely. Will go for a service next week. 💯 I will ride her until things wear out. I’m old school and sold a RM with a 1 X. I much prefer a 3 X

I had a naked carbon one of these in '97. Having come of a very similar looking Trek OCLV previously, I found the MCM was heavier and a bit less responsive. But it's all relative and still a nice bike.

Back