Pace RC100 project

ringo

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
After fearing that all the "barn find" RC100's were outed, I thought I'd never get my hands on one.

Some of you may have seen this (briefly on Ebay). It had been mentioned in an FB group just before that and I was well on the way in terms of negotiation before the Ebay ad went up!

Anyway, we agreed a very reasonable price (on the basis, the seller wanted the bike to go to a good home and receive the restoration it clearly deserves). Scant on here, kindly agreed to collect the bike and forward it on. What a job he did for me. Significant travelling and packaging as good as I've seen! It's guys like Mike that make this place special.

Bonus items were the boxed NOS XC-pro rear mech, Boxed NOS M737 SPD's and a reissue new turbo saddle! The bike also came with both fork options.

The obvious issue is that lack of the purpose made one piece stem... I thought the cable guides were absent too, but on unpacking the rear brake, they were there lined up like three cherries on the cable (see pic below).

Frame is in pretty good order. No cracks - I've been over the entire frame with an illuminated magnifying glass and all is good. Chain suck is a little worse than I was hoping though.

So build thoughts... Firstly, it's daunting, as when you look on here at the job both Dr_S, PeteMcc and Daveyla (amongst others) have done on theirs... Secondly, there's lots of hurdles to overcome, BB Bearings, one piece stem, original bar and head set set up to name but a few!

What I will endeavour though is to kept as close to catalogue spec as possible. anyway, lets start with some pics!

For the record it is RC285 (on the register here, in the name of the original owner Frazer White). He bought it new and raced it in the South Wales MTB scene in the early 90's. He's promised to send me some pictures of it in action!

Re:

Pulling up a chair! I may have some extra Magura brackets if you need any (as Tarty Bikes' stock is now finished).

Should be OK... all brake brackets are present and correct!

Anyone any idea how best to mitigate that chain suck?

yeah i saw this on the bay, seller said he was relisting and never did, figured someone had grabbed it. got the makings of an intresting build thread given the challenges you have already mentioned. best of luck!

Yeah I was watching this on the bay, looked a great project, glad it went to a retrobiker, look forward to this build. PS Scant (Mike), top bloke, met him a few times to buy kit.. :)

Great buy,hope to get one myself someday,you will no doubt want to keep the original rigid legs,but will just mention that I have some early pace suspension forks and would trade them for some rigid legs 1st or 2nd gen

Re: Re:

ringo":2jp6j5ty said:
Anyone any idea how best to mitigate that chain suck?

What would be your options - I'm guessing either rub and polish the abrasions and imperfections down to a smooth finish, and then wrap that section with a protective cover of some sort (ie: black hockey tape); or, somehow build that surface up again with some new material (ie: brazing, epoxy, etc) and then re-surface it to get it back to an original configuration; or, find a nos replacement chain-stay somewhere (ya - right!) that you can get installed into the frame ...

Back