Overbury's "The Riddler"

The paint really is a dream and will be gutted when it gets scratched :LOL: This has to be ridden so is inevitable. Big thanks to Garry at Graphicshack whose work is not short of perfect!

Here is the final. . . . ish spec

Frame: Overbury's - U/K steel, fillet brazed, 1996+

Fork: U/K, straight blade steel.

Headset: Stronglight
Stem: Control Tech quill
Handlebar: Answer Hyperlight
Grips: Ritchey WCS
Barends: Answer Hyperends

Brakes: Avid Arch Rival
Brake Pads: Avis Rim Wrangler
Brake Cables: Goodridge
Brake Levers: Avid SD 2.0L

Shifters: Shimano Ultegra
Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR M950
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace 7800
Derailleur Cables: Goodridge
Cassette: SRAM
Chain: Clarks
Cranks: Middleburn RS7
Crank Bolts: SRP
Chainrings: Middleburn
Chainring bolts: SRP
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN72
Pedals: SPD - To be changed

Hub Skewers: Ringle Twisters
Wheels: Mavic Crossland
Tyres: Panaracer Spike
Tubes: Ritchey

Saddle: Flite Ti
Seatpost: Control Tech
Seatpost Binder: Odyssey

Weight: TBC

Being confirmed as post 1996 I tried VERY hard to be selective with the parts of this period. The newest were the Arch Rivals at around 1999. (Not including the Middleburn's!) Everything else is in the ball park.

On the horizon are some new wheels, a better condition stem, and some flat period pedals. If I come into some money my ideal brakes are Avid Arch Supremes with the original SD Ultimate levers :cool:

I know many may baulk at the use of U.S parts on this very British frame but asthetically and functionally I think they are the best option. I always like to match the stem and seat post so i went from there tbh.

The purple parts were really quite a last minute idea . . . . I think they go well but I am allways open to other opinions. :D

Wow Luke looks out of this world :mrgreen: I reckon if you put some fangs and a fork Tongue up front it would look like a snake :cool:

This is very inspiring for me to think what else can be achieved from a bit of thought and the rite people. A true retrobike story from start to finish, Bristols finest indeed :cool:

If you fancy a blast at the weeekend (sat afternoon) let me know ;)

........The riddler....!!!

Luke that is JAW DROPPING. Both you and garry together have worked hard, and the end result is sensational.

And i like your choices for the build, and i think the fork looks proper on it too...!!!!

JUST COOL. i bet you are over the moon.... :cool:

Gravy Monster":nc89spyg said:
This is very inspiring for me to think what else can be achieved from a bit of thought and the rite people. A true retrobike story from start to finish, Bristols finest indeed :cool:

If you fancy a blast at the weeekend (sat afternoon) let me know ;)

Cheers mate. It's a big compliment from one of retrobikes finest. As for the ride, am definatley up for it. Unfortunately for me me I am on a stag doo in Bournemouth this weekend :D

PM me if you are going up to Leigh woods / AC in the next few weeks.

sinnerman":nc89spyg said:
Luke that is JAW DROPPING. Both you and garry together have worked hard, and the end result is sensational.

And i like your choices for the build, and i think the fork looks proper on it too...!!!!

JUST COOL. i bet you are over the moon....:

Cheers Carl, likewise to you, it is a big compliment knowing the quality of the rides you have built.

And yes, I am well over the moon.

I know you have long sang the praises of the Graphicshacks work but until you see it in the steel words can't describe fully the quality! :cool:

luke just sat looking at your pics, (good pics)..... :cool:

looks smashing :D I'm glad you went for the riddler paint job - that makes it something special.

Great build thread too I really enjoyed watching this one. :D

Rod_Saetan":32rty5v8 said:
The fork suits it well, and the paint job is great - out of curiosity, what is the frame number?

Cheers Rod. From memory it was 20082 or very similar. It has obviously been painted over now but was stamped into the underside of the BB shell.

The forks were a PITA as you can prob tell from the earlier part of the thread :LOL: .

They fought me to the end, as they were JIS standard they were too large for the headset crown race I wanted and had to be machined down. As they were the right shape etc I thought it was worth doing right.

nevadasmith":32rty5v8 said:
looks smashing I'm glad you went for the riddler paint job - that makes it something special.

Great build thread too I really enjoyed watching this one.

Cheers bud, I absolutely agree that the paint is the star of the show, it almost detracts from the workmanship in the frame. . . .almost :D

Back