Orbit Frontier - Wholesome English goodness

was8v":32bl69d2 said:
great colour choice :cool:

2440072439_0dd8f53943_z.jpg

:?: What's going on there then? Are they all your frames painted pale green?

Powder coat woes :(

Paint in bottom bracket in places (not too bad) but painted all the stem so it doesnt fit and didnt mask rear brakes. They ate good guys so wont name and shame as think they will put it right.

On the plus the colour looks amazing.

coomber":mo6gzn2q said:

Paint in bottom bracket in places (not too bad) but painted all the stem so it doesnt fit and didnt mask rear brakes. They ate good guys so wont name and shame as think they will put it right.

If you are super careful not to get it elsewhere, nitromors (the old stuff) will strip powdercoat from places that you don't want it. I used it to remove powdercoat from the brake bosses and the part of the forks where the crown race presses on a f&f I had powdercoated at work a while back.

My Orbit is at the powdercoaters too and I told him to paint the whole stem and I'll strip it back as required afterwards.

coomber":24twdss1 said:

Any pics? :D

I once spilt 2-pack thinners on some power coat, and to my horror, it dissolved quite easily!

So I called them today as they haven't replied to my email from Tuesday...

Said "I saw the mistakes in the email".

Basically, they say they have 1000s of happy customers, and things occasionally go wrong, but they wont do anything about it. No partial refund, no respray, nothing. They asked what I wanted and I said for them to do the job I paid them for, but they say they are so cheap they couldnt do a respray for free.

Really really annoyed with their attitude. I can put up with errors, but when there are that many mistakes and their attitude is to do nothing about it it's really crap.

Rant over. Got some nitromors, just going to need to be really careful stripping the excess paint off. The rear brake bosses worry me the most. Any tips?

LBS should be able to run a tap through the BB, or you could get as much surface paint off as possible and then use old BB cups to clear the threads.

As for the bosses and stem. I'd be inclined to use emery cloth, as you can use it in fine strips to just work on the bosses. Look at how any of the frame builders smooth out fillet brazed joints and you will get the idea.

Back