Orange Clockwork respray

Dave_H":3ujxx6sy said:
I like orange Oranges, but I'm not sure if it'd work as well on thinner tubed steel frames.

I know it sounds a bit mad, but I reckon it would depend on your choice of orange.

sorry to hear about the bob jackson problems, really weird, i've had 3 jobs done by them, all good jobs, but then i post the frames and then just wait for a call coz i'm never in a rush for them, which also means i only ever deal with them on the phone and email.

argos would be another sensible option, they are good guys but a little more expensive than bob jackson but again you can't fault the quality.

the other option is sending it back to orange as has been said, they do good single colour work although their modern stickers wouldn't look great on an older frame, so you'd need some doing for it.

try something individual though i think, when i got my clockwork done i thought about going for a exact refurb but didn't want to do the orange white as i had that already on my 07 clockwork so i looked through the orange brochures of the past till i saw something i liked, i ended up choosing british racing green with gold stickers.

Attachments

• the clockwork! 004resized.jpg
    the clockwork! 004resized.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,235
  • clockwork build2 008resize.jpg
    clockwork build2 008resize.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1,235
Re: Orange

Wold Ranger":k6wwslmb said:
That E4 looks the nuts, whats the colour on it then? Standard Orange, Orange so to speak?

As it came from the factory. I guess its standard Team Orange orange. :? :D

Re: Orange respray

Wold Ranger":2fo8thki said:
Do something different with it please? I never liked the Orange white fade, get it powder coated (way tougher and cheaper) in a nice single colour, The plain Orange of the currant range or the blue looks really good. This is mine and it looks and rides brilliantly. Matt Black with some very fine metalflake sparkle in it, the finish is tough as old boots, Cherry bomb got it done, just before I bought it.
ClockworkFruit001.jpg

i do like the look of that paint job, i didnt know it had metalflake in it aswell bet it looks awesome when the sun hits it. i would change the decals to the correct ones for the frame year though

Decals

They are correct, its a late '97 so a 98 model, Orange used all different styles for their custom build options, there was never a standard set up, local bike shop Len Reign cylces even used to do a coffee cream fade with coffee coloured decals as a special order, some had clock faces insted of Oranges on them, others had Orange Planets with rings around them like Saturn, I have a racing top like this too!

yeah just thought that headtube badge/ decal set looked 2007 and im quite sure they didnt have an orangebikes.co.uk decal- never seen them on pre 2000 models before

Orange

Yes sorry ur not wrong there, the head tube is modern(they look so much better than a sticker) and the web address is modern too!
Had a ride around into town on it yesterday, to my LBS, man did it cause a stir, they must have 150 to 200 new bikes in the shop, I leant it up against a pillar for a couple of hours while I chatted and every punter who came in had to touch it, pick it up, "OOOOhh" at the lack of weight and ask if it was for sale or how much!
The paint isn't much like metal flake, but has tiny little specs of bright silver that catch the light, bit like stars in an inky sky. The black is satin not shiny.

i know what you mean with the older bikes getting more attention, if im out on a retro im constantly being asked about it and when im on my newish 'dale it doesnt seem to cause much of a stir, even though it costs alot more! its a fact retro is the way! :D

Retro

What I just can't get my head round is the way even trail bikes are becoming downhill orientated and totally unsuitable for trail riding. OK so you can chuck them down a Gnarly sheer rock garden at speed, but try any serious climbing or all day trail riding and you'll be absolutely drained. To get anything like sub 25 pounds it's £3000 plus now.
The Orange weighed on my LBS scales 24 pounds yesterday and thats with a 265g mech 275g Cassette, steel BB, 220g stem, 175g bars, 120g skewers and a four pound plus forks, I could drop another 700g+ with stuff I have in the workshop. I can ride it all day and not be tired.
8 guys past my yesterday while I was out walking, all on heavy fs bikes and they were huffing and puffing even on a smooth flat trail.

Back