Orange Clockwork respray

Update:

Although the frame looked good I still wasn't overly impressed with the colours (looks different to how the photo portrayed).
So because sometimes I think I have more money than sense :? I decided to get the frame resprayed by Bob Jackson Cycles. When I took the frame into Bob Jackson's even they agreed that it didn't look quite right (well they would say that, that's there business and I'm a potential customer). I also got decals off of gil_m (thanks gil) and gave them to Bob Jackson's so they could do the lot and the decals will be sealed with varnish.
I will be picking the frame up on the 25th April and will post pics.
I am in the process of getting hold of the right components for the build.

Updates to follow

Cheers,

Phil

paint

Jeesh dude! I thought that picture of your 1st respray looked nice :?

Oh well, if you werent happy with it i suppose the respray makes sense.

Im restoring a frameset at the mo & the colour im having done varied loads over its few years :roll:

Probably a little late now but Orange will take your bike back to be powder coated for £150.00 (think the price is right) Take a look at their site it gives some info under the FAQ section.

Mark.

It’s all gone horribly wrong!

I’ll start at the beginning;

Saturday 5th April did a trip to Leeds from Norfolk to take the frame for re-spray to Bob Jackson Cycles. Luckily my parents live in Leeds so was able to visit them at the same time. However this was still an unplanned trip and done especially to take the frame to the shop.
I dropped the frame off at BJC and asked for a re-spray and decals fitted. I also asked if I could pick the frame up on the 25th April as I would be in the area that weekend for a planned family visit. This was agreed to by BJC and written down with the rest order of instructions. So I left it and patiently waited until…….

Saturday 25th April this weekend I was in Leeds anyway and first thing in the morning went to BJC to pickup the frame (couldn’t wait). However when I got there they wasn’t expecting me to be picking the frame up that day. I said the pickup date had been written down on the order. They checked to see if the frame had been done and the order. The frame had only just been started (the paint burning process) and he said I was right and it was written down on the order, they told me though that the frames can take 3 – 4 weeks and that Easter weekend had been in the middle.
Obviously not too pleased :evil: with this I asked if BJC could continue the re-spray and then deliver the frame for free. The shop said no and that I was trying to make out like it was there fault (the excuse was that I was in the area anyway and had not made a trip just to pick the frame up)……
I was told they usually phone customers to let them know when frames are ready. Why didn’t they tell me they cannot carryout work to a specific date or at least phone me to say that it wouldn’t be ready.
The way the staff in the shop spoke to me I though was disgusting and left me feeling like I was in the wrong :evil: .

With that I decided that I would take the frame anyway and said I would be willing to pay for any work carried out. They gave me the frame with previous re-spray all burnt and did not charge me for any work. It was only then I got “sorry we could not carry out the re-spray”

I’ve heard Bob Jackson Cycles do carryout good work so I’m unable to comment on this but there customer service in my opinion leaves a lot to be desired.

So now I’m in a dilemma…. I either try to get the re-spray carried out elsewhere or I was thinking of doing a brushed steel effect myself…..let me know what you all think

Cheers,

Phil :(

Really sorry to hear that mate. Others seem to have had good service from them so hopefully it was a one off.

Post pics of the frame now and let the great unwashed decide. I'd go for the orange/white fade everytime but then I am a little obsessed. :oops:

thats a pisser, I would second the orange/white fade and why not try argos- mine was done there (not by me) and the bike does look cool albeit it is wet paint so does chip but if you fall over as much as me you kinda get used to that :LOL:

Sorry to hear about your problems getting your frame refinished.

Here are some old pictures of my Clockwork:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33003&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=165

This was stripped to bare metal, a couple of top tube dings filled with braze, then powdercoated white, powdercoated RAL2008 Fluorescent Orange, wet painted white pearlescent fade over the top then laquered in. By all accounts the decals can be stuck on then laquered over the top.
It was done by Hutchcoat of Ganthorpe near York, it took less than two weeks to do.
It actually works out cheaper than Bob Jackson's too!

Hope this helps.

Roger

Back