Opinions on changes to my 1993 and beyond Orange Prestige

reanimation

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
HIya all. I built this as you see it back in 2010 (yeah I know). I got some good critical feedback on my thread.
It's still in this condition mothballed but I have some parts for it. It's not hit the spot as my original bike BITD was a 1990/1 model so I'm building more obvs. I gave up MTB temporarily in 1993 so this bike was meant to be a what if 1993/4 build, nice to stick to that era but a few parts and proposed parts are technically a bit newer.
I have an older clockwork frameset to build 1992 (DX) style and a 1993 Prestige to build as 1993 or 1994 (XT ideally) so swapping bits is an option.
So what to change on this?

-Silver headset spacers
-M737 XT groupset inc hubs except for a couple of bits
*shifter and brake lever M738a NOS, or Diacompe SS7 (matches cantilevers) and M748 (XT) shifters NOS
*Cranks: Do thse Middleburns work, too new or looks nice? (they need polishing rather than painting this time) I also have some XTR M900 that need polishing, otherwise I do Have M737 cranks but I like the bigger BCD Pace rings
-Rims I have x517 in Silver(32h) new/used or Ceramic type grey (36h) New
-Saddle, I've a Flite in Black also or a Velo Ti if I can find it!
- Seatpost is gone, Got a faded purple USE that can be polished up instead, or a nice Answer alloy post (alloy silver need to double check size)
-open to options on tyres

Many thanks :cool:

Attachments

• Prestige 1994on.jpg
    Prestige 1994on.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 579
Re:

It's a personal decision really.
I built up my '93 Prestige with shed loads of purple bits, and later decided it was a bit too OTT so replaced quite a few parts with silvet ones.
Silver seatpost works well on these frames.
Crankset... personally I'd change to a different silver one.
And I'd lose the dog pooh coloured saddle ;)

Re: Re:

jimo746":3fstwmzy said:
It's a personal division really.
I built up my '93 Prestige with shed loads of purple bits, and later decided it was a bit too OTT so replaced quite a few parts with silvet ones.
Silver seatpost works well on these frames.
Crankset... personally I'd change to a different silver one.
And I'd lose the dog pooh coloured saddle ;)
Haha, It's actually orange, but doesn't work here.
Cheers Stem was hard to find, and bars are Pace RCsub130, Bar ends Specialized, lot of purple even though its a lovely colour

Re: Ch ch ch changes...

I like it,
I did a Saracen ProTrax SE as my city basher bike and the two purple shades, i.e. violet and bright were a spot vomit inducing.

On your bike I think it works.

My P7 Blood Orange, will be an acquired taste also!

Attachments

• IMG_0215.JPG
    IMG_0215.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 551
hamster":296bz9yh said:
Grippy tyres! :LOL:

i'll have a pair of them :LOL: :LOL:

As for the first build. To much going on. Just fit silver parts with black seat.

Re:

ohhh now you've done it.... you've inspired me now and all was quiet...
still have the ultimate ultralight from febs jumble.... your orange looks stunning as it is, leave it alone and stop messing....like I need another build, but now I'm thinking what goodies I have and starting to itch.... thanks a lot :D

I'm starting to question the purple bits now. Hmm, not helping I've a headache today!
I'm mostly asking as I've stored this away from home and working on the spec from
Far away I'm going round in circles with a few ideas. This bike started with a bare frame and no forks. I'm reinventing the wheel again with a few more frames. The other Prestige Frameset etc means parts can be swapped and shifted which has not helped.

Main queries are cranks, Middleburn RS7 off a 2001 Santa Cruz so a bit new even though they look right. I've M900 ones so can keep 110 BCD Pace rings. I could go M737 but don't know where to find nicer retro trick chainrings in compact size.
And then the shifters, I'm so close to a full M737 group even the shifters M738a are close 1995 but if dia Compe brakes stay it'd be nice to go with ss7 levers and the shift pods are M748 a much later off catalogue version of M739/40.
It'll be easier with everything in one place it just isn't right now.
Thanks

Re: Ch ch ch changes...

Trialsmeister":2dumtycr said:
I like it,
I did a Saracen ProTrax SE as my city basher bike and the two purple shades, i.e. violet and bright were a spot vomit inducing.

On your bike I think it works.

My P7 Blood Orange, will be an acquired taste also!
Thanks. Yours looks really smart, only issue is clash with orange stickers. Looks ace with frame though. Nice.

Re: Re:

Retro junkie":6ntcxojo said:
ohhh now you've done it.... you've inspired me now and all was quiet...
still have the ultimate ultralight from febs jumble.... your orange looks stunning as it is, leave it alone and stop messing....like I need another build, but now I'm thinking what goodies I have and starting to itch.... thanks a lot :D

Hiya, haha yeah if if I'd not just got my other days before the jumble I'd have bought yours! If you can sort forks go for it. I know what it's like though despite having loads of bits there's still things you need to find and buy and unseen complications to build! Give it a go. At least one of my frames need to stay on back burner but keep cooking up ideas for each one!

Back