Old mtb to tourer conversion, need a little advice.

Even with a layback seat post, you'd need to have a very long seat post and I think changing the frame is the best option for the long run.

Re:

To be honest, I'd get a bigger frame and use some of the room under the top tube for a frame bag, Revelate or similar. Your panniers, as shown, are way too far back, and they're big! If you can split the load between front and rear panniers it would be better. Ortlieb are fantastic, properly waterproof and easily clip on and offable.
St Malo is a great place to start. Brittany is littered offroad cycle paths following rivers and old train lines. It's also the start of Euro 1 cycle path that crosses Brittany along an old canal then follows the coast down to Spain. There is a map of all French cycle paths available from many petrol stations. Cycling on the roads is a pleasure but off the beaten track is better!

that's great, thanks very much. I'll have to put a post on the wanted forum and see what folks might have tucked away in a garage.

Trek, Marin and Specialized frames pre-1995ish seem to make the happiest conversions. Avoid top-end frames as they tend to be a bit longer in the top tube. The thinner frame tubes of such bikes often flex more under touring loads, with nasty handling as a result.

As for splitting load front to back, it depends hugely on bike geometry. My Marin doesn't like too much on the front (typically food, cooker and waterproofs go in the low-riders). 15kg is OK on the back only. I don't get on with frame bags as they brush my knees. If B&B touring then a bar bag and rear seatpack or saddlebag is all that's necessary.

Below is what my son and I loaded for 5 days B&B touring in France last year:
48297763036_27c4b07592_z.jpg

Nineties mtb's are great for touring conversion, especially those with horizontal top tubes. I always combine "old" frames with newer parts. Partially for comfort (3 x 9 or 10 speed gives more shifting range then 7 speed) but also because I need to be sure I can rely on the parts. And a pair of V brakes give a bit more braking power.

I'd drop the steerer bag as it makes your bike unstable.

Attachments

• Col de Vars.jpg
    Col de Vars.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 984
WimVDD":3juqoo1f said:
I'd drop the steerer bag as it makes your bike unstable.

Depends (as I said upthread) on steering geometry and frame stiffness.

My Marin is fine - I've had 46mph out of it downhill with 4 panniers and barbag, steady as a rock. There are a lot of Americans who seem to tour with front panniers only. I can't say I see the point of that setup, although it must be kinder on the rear wheel.
Definitely there are some frames that really don't take nicely to barbags. Try it out and see what works.

Personally I still run 7 speed: the rear wheel has less dish and is stronger as a result. With a 24/38/47 and 13-30 cassette it gives a gear range of 20" to 92", which is totally adequate even with a camping load. The standard MTB setup of 22/32/42 with 11-28 is almost the same.

Thought about riser bars, which I might do as a short term fix but I think a larger frame is the way to go for the longer term.

SafetyThird":n2bw981r said:
Thought about riser bars, which I might do as a short term fix but I think a larger frame is the way to go for the longer term.

what size frame are you looking for?

Back