Odd gear "feel" - Cassette recommendation please

Change the chain to a IG. UG are usually found on the lower end components like 6 speed freewheels.

The profiles of the side plates of a UG, HG and IG chain are slightly different. I've never even used a UG chain for years, I've always gone for the HG.

That plus you say it's a IG cassette points to the chain being the incorrect type. There are IG specific chains you know?

Something like this should do the job:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... ModelID=81

Damn the shop that sold me them both :evil: and damn me for not realizing :oops:

So I guess the question now is whether I will get away with just a chain change....or have to change the cassette too :cry:

You shouldn't have to change the cassette unless you've done starship miles on it. It'll be cheaper to change the chain anyway.

You may even be able to take the chain back to the shop you bought it from. If you explain that you didn't realise that it was the wrong chain and fitted it they may sort you out. It depends how helpful they are.

and the middleburn ring. UI used to rate their rings. . but I dunno whats going on at work. 3 guys at work are complaining of stellar chainsuck since overhauling drivetrains and switching to hardcotes. .. buying new blackspires solved the issue. . I wonder if that may be an issue. . ?

Could the chain rivets be catching on the top of the sprocket tooth as the chain lifts off the cassette :?

Chainline off a smidgen :?

This could drive you mad :x

glad its not my drivetrain :LOL: :LOL:

dyna-ti":1cgqakya said:
This could drive you mad :x

glad its not my drivetrain :LOL: :LOL:

Yeah thanks ...

;) :LOL:

TBH, I think Xesh is probably right, I can't believe I never checked the chain, then again the bike has been in storage for quite a while so maybe I just forgot! :oops:

I'm gonna order an IG chain and see what happens, fingers crossed eh

Xesh":3cugflht said:
You shouldn't have to change the cassette unless you've done starship miles on it. It'll be cheaper to change the chain anyway.

You may even be able to take the chain back to the shop you bought it from. If you explain that you didn't realise that it was the wrong chain and fitted it they may sort you out. It depends how helpful they are.

Well there's good and bad news....

The good is it appears you were right Xesh, have changed the chain to the IG and it has cured the problem......right up until I apply a fair amount of pressure, then it's slip time :(
Looks like its a new cassette then, I reckon I've done about 300 miles on this one, but whatever it is, its enough to make the difference it seems.

So recommendations for cassette would be good, I only run 7spd at the back BTW :oops:

Buy an 8 speed cassette and remove a spacer & ring if you cannot find a 7 speed that you like.

M900/M737 are good.
Or are you thinking a modern casette ?

Slipping was not a problem you mentioned before.

could you take some pics of your setup ?

Thanks for the reply, sorry I should have clarified a few things:

The chain and cassette were put on about 7 or 8 years ago, but for lots of reasons got very little use up until fairly recently. I can't really guess at mileage but I think it would be well under 500.
It had always felt like I could feel every tooth on the smaller sprockets, but didn't slip at all.

After posting on here, Xesh said about the UG chain, which I had completely overlooked since I've been out of biking so long and forgotten all the Shimano types/numbers :oops:

So.. got a NEW IG70 chain and put that on, it's now much smoother, right up until it slips! :LOL:

The Chainrings are new so the last link as it were is the cassette.

It is a Hope hub, from about 2000 and the cassette on there at the mo is 7sp, so imagine it will have a spacer on there. The shifters are XT thumbies, 7sp with hidden 8th.

I guess there is no reason not to use an 8sp cassette, question is which one would be a good match / fairly good value for money?

Oh, will try and get some pics up soon if it'll help :D

If it's 2000 then I would also assume so and you'll have no problem with a 11tooth either.

Defiantly the chain slipping on the cassette (jumping over sprockets) and not the freehub slipping on it's ratchets (Being Hope I would assume it could be serviced reasonably easily)

Doesn't it slip no matter what ring you are in at the front ?

If weight is no problem then any 8 speed will do, no idea if the SRAM are any good but the CRC reviews say they are
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=5212 but check here for prices http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en& ... lnk=brsugg

As for if the IG chain work on it well would hope so, never used SRAM or hte modern cassette so check with others first.

Or post in wanted to see what people have got, or see if anyone here lives nearby and can lend you one to see if it is the problem.

Back