Issue with rear mech / cassette - probably another noob question but please do help and put me right before this Zaskar goes in the skip ;)

Kramoose

Dirt Disciple
A70D839E-68B3-4ADF-BDEB-4B72DDDBBD29.jpeg The rear mech Jockey wheel seems too close to the cassette, what’s going on here- do I need a gear hanger extender? It is only a 34 cassette and an XT m760 mech. Help much appreciated before the skip next door receives a present.

the small screw that fine tunes the gearing is in the wrong position needs turning round to behind the mech. Not in front.

the small screw that fine tunes the gearing is in the wrong position needs turning round to behind the mech. Not in front.
Ok so I’ve had a play. It seems to me that notch on the hanger that the screw needs to meet up against is in the wrong place?

Basically in order to align it, the mech has to sit in an un natural angle.

Could the hanger be wrong?!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    544.7 KB · Views: 32
has the mech been taken apart and put back together wrongly?? try anther mech?

That looks completely right. The mech pivots on a spring. Stop thinking too hard about it, fit the chain and all will be well. It will be in the right place as the spring tensions up. Adjust the space between top jockey and the cassette using the screw behind the mech bearing on the hanger.

Back