Not Long, Not Low, Not Entry Level

I’m definitely not a fashionista but I am a bike tart and have been trying to source a decent looking high rise setup for some time. (A broken elbow injury prevents me from straightening my arm, so need a more upright position to take the weight of my arms).
I’ve settled on a few 15-17 degree stems (Salsa, Thomson, Syncros and an inverted Thomson road stem). Combined with Ti and carbon riser bars I’ve managed to get a level saddle-bar setup on bikes with quite short headtubes and I think they look alright. Might sound expensive options but actually all were pretty cheap.
Also had an NC-17 ‘trekking’ bar on the Breezer for a while which was nicely laid back with lots of sweep, and an inch or two higher than the saddle with a regular rise stem.

You might be able to make an existing bike work without having to buy a new frame?

Last edited:
Thank you all.

Look at some of the higher end Hybrids or Touring/Randonneur bikes probably better for light MTB work if you want relaxed geometry.
Good point. I have a nice Marin hybrid already, and it could be made more relaxed with an inline seatpost and/or by putting the original stem back on.

I’m definitely not a fashionista but I am a bike tart and have been trying to source a decent looking high rise setup for some time. (A broken elbow injury prevents me from straightening my arm, so need a more upright position to take the weight of my arms).
I’ve settled on a few 15-17 degree stems (Salsa, Thomson, Syncros and an inverted Thomson road stem). Combined with Ti and carbon riser bars I’ve managed to get a level saddle-bar setup on bikes with quite short headtubes and I think they look alright. Might sound expensive options but actually all were pretty cheap.
Also had an NC-17 ‘trekking’ bar on the Breezer for a while which was nicely laid back with lots of sweep, and an inch or two higher than the saddle with a regular rise stem.

You might be able to make an existing bike work without having to buy a new frame?
Interesting. I'm not in any rush to buy another bike, and not just because I won't be riding for a few weeks; more a case of rationalisation, avoiding clutter, and making sure each one has its own distinct purpose. I enjoy riding bikes, not collecting bikes for their own sake. A riser bar with significant backsweep is definitely one way to reduce the reach—I'm going to give that some thought. It might work with a Pine Mountain frame I already have. Thank you for the suggestion.

@hamster I like the look of the Dawes Edge: it's on my radar already. 👍

Back