Not (Just) Another Clockwork..(1993) Updated 25/07/10 page 3

Good News/Bad News

A little update:

Good news; the Clockwork will now never have to undergo the humiliation of lugging an unsightly rack or ugly mudguard around.. :cool:

Bad news; during removal the XTR headset that came with the frame litterally disintergrated! It was that brittle I could snap the sealing lips by hand.. :shock: :?

So if anyone has a 1" threaded headset they can add to the cause please let me know! ;)

Also in other news; I mocked up all the purple parts against the current orange and I think it looks good.. and that's what counts right? ;)

She's off to the powder coaters tomorrow and apparently should be back on Friday! :D

Todays Fun!

Even though the XTR headset is dead I know whatever headset I get to replace it I will want to run a locking top nut. I've been searching for a purple or silver one for a while now without any luck. It's become pretty obvious to me that these are pretty rare these days. I did however receive this little blue beauty after colinr answered my wanted add:

It had a few battle scars and I did consider adding a few other blue ano highlights to the build so that it wouldn't feel lonely, but eventually I decided blue just isn't right for this build.

So this afternoon I spent a few hours with some files and some SiC papers for company and this is the result:

I'm pretty damn happy with it! :D not sure if it will stay matte like this or get a polish. Any thoughts?

Thanks Colin you're a legend!

I have a brand new, boxed 1" threaded headset in my spare parts bin - I'll check it out later today. Think it's a Dia Compe.

clunker":phze5p5x said:
Looking forward to the updates, giving me inspiration for my Orange

Cheers fella! :D I was begining to wonder if I was talking to my self.. :LOL: :roll:

Digger90":phze5p5x said:
I have a brand new, boxed 1" threaded headset in my spare parts bin - I'll check it out later today. Think it's a Dia Compe.

Thanks for the offer I appreciate it, however I already have a new headset inbound! :D

So.. progress.. I was delayed getting the frame to powder coat so I'm now expecting it back Wed/Thurs next week. Good news is by the time I get it back everything should be here to get her built (fingers crossed) :). Besides, I've got plenty of little jobs to be getting on with in the mean time.. stripped the XT hub down today and fitted the new cassette body, all good, but I hadn't realised it was an 8 speed body that was fitted. This must have been retrofitted as I'm sure these hubs were only available in 7 speed. No big deal.. exept the cone/locknut is seized on the non drive side.. major pain in the ass as I need to have both sides fully free to re-space it back for 7 speed! :evil: I've got it soaking at the moment but it may need a new axle/cone assembly.. :roll: :LOL:

Here's some teasy shots of some new parts.. ;)

I now have a (98%) complete crankset..

We like period correct rims.. :cool:

More soon.. ;)

No sign of the frame yet.. (still may get the call today though) but I had a few other bits arrive this morning so some more teasy pics.. ;)

USE shock post.. stripped, cleaned and re-greased, new decal and the purple ano clamp assembly. It now looks as good as new! :D

I've not used a bouncy post before but I figure this and the Flexstem should help cut out the trail buzz.. gotta look after my back since the Ti spine upgrade! :roll:

Talking of Ti..

205g of Ti-axled-purple-pedal-goodness! :cool: I'm not usually a weight weenie but these Odyssey Svelte pedals are fecking light!! :shock:

The custom frame decals also arrived today and boy has Gil done a great job! As soon as I get the frame back I'll get some pics up.. ;)

Back