NOS Stock & Retro Parts Gripes

midibiker

Klein Fan
Is is just me or do some people think that they have come in the next form of Bitcoin in old bike parts.

I thought the meaning of New Old Stock meant that the item was new, sealed, no marks, and as you would have expected it at that time.

Not something that has nicks and marks all over it, and is being sold for an absurd amount of money.

Most sellers seem to think that can put some kind of silly value on the item just because it has been sitting at the back of the store or their loft for the past 30 years. But that's meaningless, especially if the part is not in demand too. You can't overvalue something just because it has a retro name on it but they do.

So, can you tell that I am a tad annoyed with looking at all of these semi battered parts trying to be sold for a kings ransom.

You wouldn't mind paying good money for a near mint item from the past. But they are a rarity and some of the prices on Ebay are a joke.

New old stock isn't so much a description of condition, more the history of the part. Something could've been sat in a drawer since day one, having picked up plenty of storage marks over the years. The fact that it's never been used or sold make it nos. Ideally something described as nos should also have a description of condition.

I agree, some stuff out there is just crazy money. I have 'Yeti Fro' as one of my ebay saved searches and the stuff that comes up (where the seller has used Yeti Fro in the title) is insanely priced. It only takes one person desperate for that one part though, I guess.

Early in my retrobike journey I fell foul of having limited knowledge & a chunk of money fall in my lap. I brought a set of boxed n.o.s black Xt Canti's (Minus one washer & brake block) for £200 :( As you can imagine they sit in the cupboard, which is better than where they're firm jammed in reality 🤣😂

Early in my retrobike journey I fell foul of having limited knowledge & a chunk of money fall in my lap. I brought a set of boxed n.o.s black Xt Canti's (Minus one washer & brake block) for £200 :( As you can imagine they sit in the cupboard, which is better than where they're firm jammed in reality 🤣😂
Ouch, expensive lesson :(

New old stock isn't so much a description of condition, more the history of the part. Something could've been sat in a drawer since day one, having picked up plenty of storage marks over the years. The fact that it's never been used or sold make it nos. Ideally something described as nos should also have a description of condition.

I agree, some stuff out there is just crazy money. I have 'Yeti Fro' as one of my ebay saved searches and the stuff that comes up (where the seller has used Yeti Fro in the title) is insanely priced. It only takes one person desperate for that one part though, I guess.

I agree. I keep seeing the term Yeti Fro in every mega priced listing and what makes it even worse is when others see it and then every man and his dog comes out with their beaten up old part looking to get rich.

But like you say. It only takes one desperate buyer.

Just look on ebay. There are some loose descriptions, some wrongly identified parts and brave pricing.😄
Be careful out there.

Well NOS can have storage marks, many part didn't come in boxes, but bags etc.
And then shoved in draws.

NIB is New In Box, that's quite different to NOS.

Though NOS shouldn't have been used, of course as then its not New.
Otherwise it's "used, like new".
For example, fitted and removed etc but looks like new.

There is NIBB too. New In Battered Box courtesy of (insert most hated carrier here like Drop It Hide It Lose It, Ebay Global Shipping Pitney Bowels).

I emailed a couple of sellers in the week and informed them that I was interested in their item but I was not willing to pay twice the price for something that I could go out and get today in order to get me going.

I know it wouldn't be great, but it's not like most bikes shops are currently out of stock of bike parts.

Unlike the situation that is going on in my line of work where there is a global shortage of PC graphics cards and no where has any stock.

Then they came back and asked if I wanted to submit an offer for them :LOL:

I say don't offer anything for most of these parts unless they are worth paying for.

All they have done is shifted the part from sitting in the the back of the bike store to sitting on Ebay.

There is one seller on Ebay that is trying to sell a battered old Cook Bros Crank for silly money, and people are actually bidding on it. Why on earth they would want to put it on their bike is beyond me and he has put some crazy reserve price on it too.

I think the Retro, NOS parts thing needs a correction.

Let the parts sit there for another 30 years until some of these sellers come to their senses :LOL:

Latest posts

Back