NOS Kirk Revolution... Need help!

Arran

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Sorry all. There's no spec list... because all I have at present is a frame.

I recently mentioned to a friend (who owns a bike shop) that a Kirk Revolution was on my top 10 list of retro bikes. "I've got one of those old pieces of $#1t", he replied. "It's never been assembled. I'll dig it out for you".

You could imagine my surprise! This is the same source that produced my NOS American Comp Lite so I think i'm going to have to do some more digging around his shop when I get a chance! He even found me a NOS M651 front derailleur to suit the frame!

The Revolution is a little worse for wear. It has a few oxidisation 'trails' under the powder coat, a couple of the decals are a bit banged up and is missing the hanger but aside from that, it's mint! Here she is...

revolution2.jpg

Here come the questions...

Can anyone proviede me with a photo of a Kirk Revolution derailleur hanger? I shouldn't imagine i'll be able to source a new one these days. I'll have to dust off the old Dremmel tool. Here's a close up of the drop outs.

revolutionhanger.jpg

What year is the frame? It doesn't have a serial number. It has a 1 1/8" head tube. I want to build it up as close to 'period correct' as possible.

Thanks in advance for your help!

hangers were the hardest thins to find for these buggers :idea: have you tried ringing Dawes to see if they have any hangers left over ?

Kirkrevolution.jpg

Kirkspecsbackpage.jpg

There is a posh cycle shop in Norwich I used to always go in to dribble over the Kirks. I love them. Quite rare now :shock:
Are you going to build period correct, or just sweeeet with exotic stuff? ;)

Pickle":t67612td said:
There is a posh cycle shop in Norwich I used to always go in to dribble over the Kirks. I love them. Quite rare now :shock:
Are you going to build period correct, or just sweeeet with exotic stuff? ;)

Definitely period correct. It looks like it's a '91'ish model so i'll go for an M732/M735 build, I think.

Good find !

I have one in the garage with the same problem,

1 - The guy who runs the Kirk web site never answers his e-mail if you ask him about a drop out.

2 - Dawes are useless and dont want to know I was just told to go into my local dealer.

3- If you find one and they have another one get it for me please !!

4 - If you make onew can you make 2 ? and I will duy it off you.

Aaaarrrrghhhhh!!!

It just keeps getting worse!

The rear spacing is 126mm!!! What the hell???!!! Guess i'll be looking for a Shimano 600 rear hub...

Can anyone else verify the rear dropout spacing of a Revolution for me?

Given how expensive the tooling is to make for die casting stuff, it looks lik ethey consolidated everything to 126mm, and had modular inserts for other bike specific features. However, I have some Ringle buba hubs in 126 if you need. Period would be about '92 at my estimate, , and from what I remember, the hangers went on them all. Bolt on hanger is the only way to go. . ., like dare I say it, the little hanger that comes with £9'99 tourney/SIS mechs can someties be useful in these situations. . .

Back