non typical ARC AS

Loungekabouter

Retro Guru
Hi,

finally got some time to take pictures of the ARC AS frame I brought over form my last trip to Europe.
Thanks again Eef.

Yes its a turquoise Yeti ;-) But as it has a white front, it is open to something different than the blue (turq)
or 3DV build!

This is the frame as I unwrapped it out of my suitcase last winter and added some parts for trial:

in the meantime I gathered quite a few Machine Tech parts for this build.
Pictures coming soon!

Was a little late last night, so I did not take any pictures.
I'll get that done somewhere today, I hope.

Black would also have looked very nice, but since I had lots of silver and polished, I went with that for now.
Except for the cranks and qr's it is all Machine tech. I would doubt that I will ever find a pair of Machine tech crank's in this lifetime ;-)

I'm still not sure on the forks. It has an M4 in right now. As I really like the old Manitou forks, but a white painted Judy would give it just
a bit more individual style. What do you think?

Cheers
Jeroen

Re:

Went home for lunch and took some quick pictures

Still need to find some chain rings. The little granny ring will be replaced by a polished one. as will the seat post binder bolt.

Cheers
Jeroen

Sweet wings cranks! A very unusual choice for this build (but I do love mine! got 2 pairs of them) The Machine Tech stem seems somehow "unsettling". I do love the unique design on all Machine Tech components but not so much on the stem (don't quite know why, the proportions of it seem off...?). Maybe a Sweet Parts stem to go with the cranks? Lovely build in any case! I do agree that look wise the Manitou forks just seem to fit better to Yeti frames.

@ Syncrosfan: Thanks for the compliment! On the pictures, you are right, the stem looks out of proportions. I did not realize that when looking at it live !
Sweet parts stem would also be nice indeed.

You could always powder-coat the cranks white to match the finish of the frame? It's kind of "sacrilegious" to paint over the cool nickel plated finish of the Sweet Wings but the color doesn't seem to match anything else on the bike (maybe except for the Manitou stanchions). On top of everything the nickel plating does not do a very good job preventing surface rust on the cranks. I have to clean mine on a regular basis and I live in California where those cranks have never seen a drop of rain or bad weather... can't even imagine how they would look after a season of European weather riding.

:) a friend of mine used to have these back in the 90's . I do not recall them rusting back than.

Maybe you are right on the color not matching, but I would not want to paint these wings. I would have a set of Syncros that I could paint.
In fact, I just sand-blasted the revolutions this morning.

But like I mentioned earlier, the goal would be a set of Machine tech cranks......... (so if anyone out there has some kicking around, even broken ones, let me know)

I'm fairly sure the Machine Tech cranks didn't make it into production. They made a couple of prototypes though. They were pretty trick.

Back