No offence intended. Newbie Error ...Sales Withdrawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
DM":35h2u7xp said:
:roll:

If you don't like the asking price, make an offer or STFU!
Retrobike is USUALLY very chilled, with very few forum rules; Let's keep it that way.

STFU?

That's not very friendly, now is it?

Think your missing the point, the issue is not about asking prices, you can set any price you want on here, the issue is about buying on here and a few days later selling the parts at almost twice the price.

I contacted the original seller of the whole bike when he was selling and advised him to split and post as he could expect to get more for the bike if he did. He choose not to and sold to keith as it was easier for him- good result all round.

However to split (come on lads, how hard is it to strip a bike) and sell two days later at a pretty good margin does not sit right with me hence my original post- Lots of folks would be happy to do the same it seems, and that's up to you- all I'm saying is I wouldn't.

DM":2pwvf6rx said:
Retrobike is USUALLY very chilled, with very few forum rules; Let's keep it that way.

I think the fact that there has been a few cases recently of blatant profiteering (and complete theft!) has made people more wary with sales like this.
I have no doubt that keith is an honest and decent bloke. I pm'd him earlier to explain my comments (which were probably a bit harsh :oops: ) and simply said that he could have been more transparent with the sale.

This sale looked like someone trying to turn a quick profit, and thats why I commented upon it.
Will probably do the same next time I see a similar one too ;)

hmm how did i miss that original sale, woulda been all over it :/ never mind, seems the guy didnt wanna split and post as he was advised to do, so everybody's happy arnt they? realistically the cranks and hubs are the big ticket items and 150 posted was probably about on the money for them, get you a free bike if you can be bothered.
personally if id seen it i wouldve bought it for the cranks and sold the rest on. i didnt see the prices being asked for the bits so cant comment there, but i guess there is a point to be made about not being up front about where the parts came from.
right now im thinking about a similar deal, a guy is selling a bike on here, i just want the frame, so im basing my offer on what i can sell the parts for. is that wrong? and also would anyone be making a noise if he'd bought the bike off ebay?

tis a fair point about ebay biffta, however I have seen ebay purchases flagged before in extreme cases of profiteering. I think it lets people know the profit margin and gives an element of bargaining power to fellow retrobikers.

I too pm'ed Keith and he does strike me as an honest guy just looking to fund his habit and he is offering a good deal on another bike however making lots of profit exclusively from the for sale section drives up prices and in my opinion goes against the karma orientated ethos that thrives here.

What did i start...but no doubt there have been previous threads regarding the same.

Not sure i would be driving up prices...i chose values based on previous/similar sales...and once negotiations on prices had been made...postage, effort etc...i doubt profits would be enough to get rich on...

As for being transparent...admitedly i never mentioned where it came from..but certainly made no attempt to hide anything...

The P7, i posted at the same time, is very similar price to what i had paid..because it has stayed similar as to how i purchased it....

The Marin, however , i spent a fair amount of effort on..drove to collect it etc..

I understand the forum spirit, prices for the boys etc....but it surely works both ways...how many have jumped on the bargain
, rather than advising the value is much more.....hmmm?

I suppose the argument could be ...if you found a Rembrandt at a bootie for 50p...would you sell it on for same...

I think, with hindsight i made a mistake pulling the post....afterall..any pennies i made have made..would have been spent back here..

agree with you Keith you should have keep the for sale post no need to pull it....going to shut up now- I'm sure everyone will be glad- fell off my high horse anyway :LOL:

what is STFU any way :oops: :roll: ... and i dont think he as done any thing wrong as the seller got the price he wanted so who gives a SMEG

Sorry people, "STFUp" was probably a bit harsh.
:oops: Apologies.

It just looked like people were being a bit harsh on a newbie, resulting in him pulling his advert.

Glad to see everything has been resolved peacefully and we're all back to playing nicely.

C'mon then get the add back up, we've got money burning holes in our pockets! chop chop ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back