Bontrager Race Lite rebuild, interesting history...

Where are you located...
In the states there is a clear coat with a hardener in the bottom of the spray can. To activate the hardener you turn the can upside down pushing down on a bottom that pierces the can internally.....then shake for a few minutes. There is a 48hr. Window to use entire contents before no longer usable. I have restored a few Bultaco pursang gas tanks ( I'm also into vintage motocross) and have used this. Super user friendly, can also has adjustable spray nozzle for vertical or horizontal spray pattern, and years later finish still looks wet like it was done yesterday....
Yep, I'm in the U.S. and have used that same 2k clear coat. I've prepped the frames extensively, getting them baby butt smooth before clear coating, but I still get a bit of orange peeling. Maybe I'm going to heavy, instead of the light tack coats mentioned elsewhere?

spotted him here! no mistaking that bike

too bad it's just a couple of seconds
And Tomac riding the section everybody was walking. It´s not enough to be number one.. you have to look the part on every step of the way.

Last edited:
Yep, I'm in the U.S. and have used that same 2k clear coat. I've prepped the frames extensively, getting them baby butt smooth before clear coating, but I still get a bit of orange peeling. Maybe I'm going to heavy, instead of the light tack coats mentioned elsewhere?
If you don't mind me asking where about in the U.S........

I'd be up for that for sure....did you see my post concerning bontrager crown(?) on my 97 race lite....thought if any one would it know it be you👍

It is a bonty crown, but those later forks would likely be oem spec for trek rather than the "bespoke" ones made for mag21s and earlier Judy's (the bolt on one's)

Okay I have 2 sets of mag 21's one with the bontrager crown for that fork and have a couple early XC Judy's with the pinch bolt(s) crown's. Unfortunately the latter origins unknown.....so what is a trek speced fork vrs bontrager.....appreciate the info slackboy👍. P.S threw in some eye candy for you😉

Attachments

• 52132845545_ea1cbf5cb3_b.jpg
    52132845545_ea1cbf5cb3_b.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 52132591259_3c405cd557_b.jpg
    52132591259_3c405cd557_b.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 14
  • p4pb22529025.jpg
    p4pb22529025.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Back