No love for old Turners on here?

Fudd

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've been on here almost five years now and one thing I've noticed is that vintage Turner frames are conspicuous by their absence. To illustrate this, a quick search of the readers rides section shows one Turner Burner build thread. Now I've never owned a Turner but back in the mid 90's they were regarded by the mags as the best suspension frame you could buy and they had a price tag to match. The fact that the Horst-link design remained for over 10 years and was only changed due to the cost of licensing the design in 2006 confirms to me that they got it right first time and in my eyes at least, it goes down in history as one of the most iconic mtb frames.

I came close to spending over £3k on one back around 2001 but opted to buy an Aprilia and do my m/cycle test instead, but since joining here I've always kept an eye out for them until a couple of weeks ago when I spotted one in Canada on ebay. It had a welded lower shock mount so that made it a pre 96 frame and hence very rare; There were probably less than 400 frames made before they changed to the cnc shock mount and how many of these still survive is anyone's guess. The seller had it listed as a medium so I messaged him for further details and measurements etc but unfortunately it was on the larger side of medium with a 23" top tube. I tried to justify it but the fact remained that it was too large for me :cry: . Gutted, I wished the seller the best of luck and tried to forget about. A few days after the auction ended I looked to see what it went for. $51 or roughly £32 in real money :shock: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331402322314.

So whats the deal with these then? Did they have a bad rep for cracking or something else, or are they an unappreciated classic about to rocket in value?

Over to you....

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I think generally they are simply rare. Lots of noise in magazines but few sold. Probably most of those that did went to racers and got thrashed.

I was looking for one for a while, really want a yellow burner with polished rear running Judy DH forks...
Used to drool over Jamies one in MBUK

Got all the parts but cant find a frame :(

Re:

There is a fellow on here (andrewl) who is a bit of a Turner aficionado

I have a 199? Turner which has been awaiting resto for a few years now....

Andy

Back