Nice, Bastille day

RickTheUncivil":k6l0x9oy said:
my 6YO lad saw this news this morning, said 'huh, more killing' and changed the channel. I think he thinks this is normal, which terrifies me.

Mine said a similar thing, its sadly become commonplace :cry:

Re:

sadly, and paradoxically, if some person tried doing that somewhere in the US of A ... he/she sure wouldn't have gotten as far as he did in France (with such a high body count).

Re:

k-rod":3rwj90kb said:
sadly, and paradoxically, if some person tried doing that somewhere in the US of A ... he/she sure wouldn't have gotten as far as he did in France (with such a high body count).

And if it happened here in Britain, with fewer armed officers? Doesn't bare thinking about

Mike

Re: Re:

highlandsflyer":b7nem5wj said:
The 'irony' is anyone believing guns make them 'safer', given the statistics..

The police should be armed I believe. I know of the recent troubles in the U.S.A. , but this is not the USA

Is members of the public being armed that is the problem. Anyone who really wants a gun, will find a way of getting one.

Stopping people under surveillance /known to authorities as they get into vehicles is impossible, sadly.
If this evil person had had chance to use the weapons he had, it would have been a lot worse.
As is the case with the night club shooting, had officers not been armed.

Mike

Re:

A truly shocking event, followed by another in Kabul which few talk about.

I think this talk of arming police is redundant...I'm still trying to reconcile how this lorry was allowed to pass through barriers on the pre-text of delivering ice cream. Look at the size of the truck and no refrigeration unit!

Were no rudimentary checks made to validate the drivers claim. No rudimentary search? This horrific attack was avoidable.

My thoughts to all victims in these very difficult times.

We can't secure every area where people congregate; that is why terrorism is so effective. I don't see any blame needs to be attributed to anyone when someone is prepared to act in this way, other than to the perpetrator and those behind the ideology.

It is an incredibly complex issue, and does not lend itself to binary solutions.

Just been chatting to my Dad and his wife, they missed the attack by less than 10 minutes. They'd just let themselves back into the apartment and switched the kettle on as the attack started less than 100m away on the main drag.

Back