Newest purchase GT Zaskar, possibly 1991?

Re: Newest purchase GT Zaskar unknown year

Hey unit3, yeah I don't want to start any disagreements. Ultimately I love my builds to be as correct as possible but parts wise we all have our favourite or preferred bits and this bike is to be done on a budget to a degree as well.

A Judy may be too new for this although I do have a very nice condition Judy FSX with spring kit spare, problem being the removable crown is 1 1/8" ahead.

Thanks for the heads up on that parts thread LGF, chainset could certainly be used if they'll sell seperately.

Bought a stem and bar so everything's coming together nicely. I have various spare springs and elastomers kicking about so hope I can get the Pace working again without extra cost.

Minifreak":1qze2q3n said:
Done a bit of digging and found this:

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/info/122/

Looks like it is a Pantera and not a Zaskar, a nice early one in good order frame wise non the less. A bit annoyed but I don't think the seller knew any better, it's a very nice basis for a build so I'll stick with my plans, just have to get Pantera decals instead.

That link is specific to GT BMX has no relevance to GT mountain or adult bike models.

The only way it could be a Pantera is if it the paint has been stripped.....92 which was the first model year of the Pantera would have had at best a late 91 starting serial number beginning with an "H1" or "H2"as they were produced at the Taiwan-Hodaka factory. Something very odd about the serial number. Is there any 7005 or 6061 stampings on the inside of the rear dropouts?

Definitely a weird one. Non-replaceable dropout means it has to be '92 or earlier, but the serial number doesn't match a Pantera (both mine start with an 'H'), or the numberic format that the Zaskar should be.

I'd definitely be looking for either 6061 or 7005 marking somewhere.

BTW. If it does turn out to be a Pantera and you manage to find a source for the decals, please let me know :) And also, Orange is by far the best colour for that year...:

2CA0395E-6A83-4B30-95C9-6A6698E27E38.jpg

Re:

If there is no material stamp present, I could analyse a piece of it in work and let you know what grade of Aluminium it is.
Just a tiny piece filed off somewhere non critical will suffice :)

The plot thickens then gm ;)

No sign of any remnants of paint anywhere so I'd say this has never seen any. I have had a hunt for other stampings but maybe I'll find something when it gets cleaned and polished. It is what it is but u do hope it's a Zaskar.

If I find decals for whatever it turns out to be I'll let you know Stealth. If that's your bike, she looks lovely.

May take you up on that offer tonedeaf

Re:

That is mine. Sadly, it turns out that the frame is bent :evil:

Another thought occurs - the Pantera of that year had a 26.8mm seat post and the frame weighs 4lb 13oz. My later Pantera and the Zaskar I own both have 27.2mm seat posts and the Zaskar frame comes in at just under 4lb. If you have a set of scales, that might be a reasonable way to tell... (Lacking any other markings on the dropouts)

Oh and for reference, the serial number of my '92 Pantera starts H1M and there's no 7005 markings on the frame anywhere.

Latest posts

Back