Newbie questions - Frame stripping & painting...

its powder coat so naturally glossy. not had a frame done me self but a mate at work has and finish was good. we work at halfords and his bike is normally at work as he rides over the skate park most days after work. sure he wont mind you popping in and having a butchers.

Great - Cheers - will do...........

While im posting - Does anyone know where i can get the standard..around the seat tube type Kona cable routing for the rear brake - as having a cable stop welded to Ally - scares me :shock:

I would suggest you ask Gil_M to make you some authentic copies of 95 Kula decals if he can. Don't bother with eBay ones, they're rubbish.

With all due respect to the views expressed above, I'd be cautious about a price as low as £20. Critics of powder coating talk about 'orange peel', but that isn't inherent to the powder, it's caused by inadequate preparation/shot blasting. Most of their business is coating industrial plant etc, where the finish isn't so important, so you need to ensure that they do a special level of prep for a bike, plus masking the threads etc. You get what you pay for.

You will see Kona 'collars' come up for sale from time to time, £10-20, but it might be easier to go for one of these that clamps onto the top tube (but check fit) http://www.billys.co.uk/english/group.php?prod=bsqbbs

Kona Collar's - so this is what i need...
Does anyone have a close up picture of one, as ive seen them used on bikes with V brakes - which i find quite hard to understand as they were designed for use with cantis right? Or is it me??

And indeed if you can buy them new or is it something i have to wait to crop up??

Also - does anyone know what these forks are please?
I thought they looked quite cool - how do they compare to the P2's?

Attachments

• copy_of_kkss_001_100.jpg
    copy_of_kkss_001_100.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,126
  • konakilauea004.jpg
    konakilauea004.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 1,126
I had my frame powder coated at Windridge - not the cheapest of jobs but I was very impressed with the service / quality / looks etc :

http://www.windridge.co.uk/content.php/410

The frame was ordered as satin but the forks show what gloss level can be achieved with powder :

DSC03632.jpg

DSC03828.jpg

DSC03830.jpg

DSC03626.jpg

WD :D

Ok people - whats the deal if you dave a tiny dent in the rear stay - which you would like sorted....

As discussed - i'd like to get the frame powdercoated - so do i sand and fill prior and ask them to mask prior to their shot blasting?

Secondly - i'd like to maintian the threads - but appreciate that any masking i do may be ruined with their shotblasting...
My concern is will they protect the threads as well as i may, and i know i can chase them back out - but would rather not!

Any advice please?

Powder coating

Hi there

When I had my cindercone powder coated I left all bolts in the threads ( not fully in). They sandblasted and powder coated the frame with the bolts in place. Be carefull of the bottom bracket as the threads are fine and could be damaged. Make sure they are aware.

Cheers kirbdug

Back