NEW TI RALEIGH 753 40TH TDF ANNIVERSARY MODEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re:

I always interpreted it as "enough slot to take up chain slack in any conceivable spring-loaded pulley-cage derailleur-less situation". I don't think the slot was ever intended to function as "wheelbase fine-tuning"?

Oh.. and I should have written "seatstay" rather than "chainstay", post before last

Surely it can't have been that hard for Raleigh to get it right. There's a vid on youtube of Joop being 'surprised' by it's delivery to his house, and unboxing it and riding it in his maillot jaune. But then he's got a nice bung from Raleigh I'm sure!

Re:

Earlier in this thread it was mooted that the sloping top tube was designed to lower stanover height. In 40+ years of cycling, I've never ever measured or considered standover height. This is a measurement that is often queried on classified sales forums frequented by less experienced cyclists and so perhaps this is the market Raleigh were aiming at. People who purchase purely as wall art or for investment.
The only time I see standover height being relevant is if you're considering buying a 25" frame for a 5' teenager and are hoping that one day you'll have grandchildren

Re: Re:NEW TI 753 40TH TDF ANNIVERSARY MODEL

I think the fact is a limited production run plays a major part in the number of sizes available... just five. Things have changed in forty years and we don't have skinny tyres anymore. Go into your local bike shop if you are lucky enough to still have one, how many road bikes are sat on 23mm tyres....none. Raleigh doesn't have any road bikes in its catalogue because it cannot compete with the big brands. It appears Raleigh I using its rich heritage to tap into a new market who want something different and with a story to tell. If a twenty something Hipster turned up in the pub garden on the new Ti and I was on my 1961 Jensen Italia, we'd have plenty to chat about. :D

Attachments

• 20200207_134509.jpg
    20200207_134509.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 452
This thread has kept me entertained! The Cynics against the Fanboys!

Having been lucky enough to have had a couple of SBDU frames I was genuinely interested for a few minutes but, looking at what I've bought over the years for less than 10% of the new purchase price of this bike, I will leave it.

Re:

I'm not sure there are any cynics. Raleigh seem to have made something modern which harks back to the past. The original blurb was about producing a 1980 TDF replica, which it clearly isn't. An undeniable cock up rather than cynical views

I mean wow. Page 9 already. The discussion about brake drop is well just incredible. Take sometime people and go over the muddy side of the forum and ask why cantilever bosses are not the same height front and rear even with vertical drop-outs. Since Joop in the TdF, there is thing called a MTB which kicked the development of road bikes and is still kicking it today for good reason. If you want it as it was back then, buy the original, if you are OK with something more modern but looks retro, buy the replica and be happy.

I really can't see it being that difficult and all you need to do is compare relative prices to understand the value argument. Safe to say, back then, no one here could afford an original just to go on a club run. The replica is affordable. Just.

It's impossible to cut it both ways 40 years on. Especially from Raleigh.

Re: Re:

pigman":ongyhw9x said:
I'm not sure there are any cynics. Raleigh seem to have made something modern which harks back to the past. The original blurb was about producing a 1980 TDF replica, which it clearly isn't. An undeniable cock up rather than cynical views
If you had the free reign to build a Raleigh TDF replica how would you build it ? How would you build it better? Can you give us a list of key features for the frame that you would use and the components so a balanced comparison can be made?

Re:

That's just it, people aren't getting the argument. I'm not saying it's a bad bike or I would/could build it better. But I would want it different, different in the sense that it turned out like they said it would be - an exact replica. They said it would be one thing, then produced and sold another and that's either misrepresentation or error.

Even though I'm getting on, I still have my bikes set up race style, so don't want a big head tube with high bars, and in terms of tyre width, my 23mm Vittoria CX tubs were about the same section as my current 25mm contis and I wouldn't want 37mm gravel tyres on it

Why didn't they market it as "for the rider who wants to nostalgically ride a 753 Raleigh in TI livery, but with a modern twist to allow for larger tyres, use of Stis and leisure geometry" and we would have known what to expect.

I still reckon I dodged a bullet in my hesitation of deciding whether I should order the frame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back