NEW TI RALEIGH 753 40TH TDF ANNIVERSARY MODEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re:

Try not to worry about the extra clearance at the front and look at it a built in safety feature instead, it will help keep the brake caliper and wheel clear of twigs and other debris causing the wheel to lock up.... being catapulted through the air can be a very painful experience. :?
What effect does moving the rear wheel back further have on the relationship between the rim and chainstays ?

There seems to be some issues with the authors interpretation of data....

** The document used by Raleigh UK – the section titled ‘Some Successful Designs’, list’s Joop’s seat tube length as 560mm. However the preceding page tells anyone reading this information that they must read this as Centre to Centre.
https://raleigh-sb4059.com/2020/09/28/4 ... sbdu-data/

Raleigh have taken Joop's original size 56cm Centre to Centre seat tube length and translated it to a size 57.5cm Center to Top by adding on 15mm. This is the correct conversion measurement...IT IS 15mm NOT 10mm

"The ctc size given for Raas was 565mm – my JR frame is 565mm ctc. Add 15mm to that and you get 580mm, or 58cm! The size of my bike! There it is, 100% actual first hand indisputable SBDU evidence of the size of the bike ridden by Jan Raas. No more internet speculation, just good old facts!"
https://raleigh-sb4059.com/2016/08/05/j ... rame-size/

Joop Zoetemelk's 1980 TDF winning bike is a size 57.5cm CTT.

Attachments

• raleigh-history-1980-joop-zoetemelk-tour-de-france.jpg
    raleigh-history-1980-joop-zoetemelk-tour-de-france.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 445
Re:

What effect does moving the rear wheel back further have on the relationship between the rim and chainstays ?
The Campagnolo 1010 dropouts were standard in the peloton throughout the seventies. I quotation mark the word 'horizontal' because the axle slot is not strictly horizontal- it is at a right angle to the axis of the chainstay.
The difference between the extreme* forward and extreme aft axle positions within the slot was 25mm. If you moved the axle from one extreme to the other, you would have to adjust the brake blocks up or down in their slots by about 2mm, if you wanted to maintain the same orientation of block to rim.

By 1980 the 1010 dropout was more or less obsolete in the peloton, replaced by a dropout with a shorter slot.

*Like most extreme positions, the extreme positions in the dropout slot were not actually intended to be used.

Re:

torqueless":151pd8qq said:
The Campagnolo 1010 dropouts were standard in the peloton throughout the seventies. I quotation mark the word 'horizontal' because the axle slot is not strictly horizontal- it is at a right angle to the axis of the chainstay.
The difference between the extreme* forward and extreme aft axle positions within the slot was 25mm. If you moved the axle from one extreme to the other, you would have to adjust the brake blocks up or down in their slots by about 2mm, if you wanted to maintain the same orientation of block to rim.

By 1980 the 1010 dropout was more or less obsolete in the peloton, replaced by a dropout with a shorter slot.

*Like most extreme positions, the extreme positions in the dropout slot were not actually intended to be used.
Okay, try not to keep worrying about the brake pads and focus only on the tyre and chain stays... what happens as the WHEEL POSITION IS ADJUSTED FURTHER BACK ?
Look closely at the chain stays as they get wider apart... what does this tell you ? .... what will this allow you to do ?

Re:

I think we're talking at cross purposes here. I'm fixated on inexplicably mis-matched brake drops, and as far as I can tell, you are fixated on fitting balloon tyres to a road bike?... :)

Re: Re:

torqueless":26iuyaxx said:
I think we're talking at cross purposes here. I'm fixated on inexplicably mis-matched brake drops, and as far as I can tell, you are fixated on fitting balloon tyres to a road bike?... :)
Well done Sherlock, you've finally cracked it. :D
Now with the evidence presented it has become clear part of the design brief was to allow for larger tyres as well as being able to retain the original wheelbase with 23mm tyres. I agree they are not as pretty as the short Campagnolo originals and a compromise had to be made. They are in the spirit of the originals with triangular windows and spring loaded adjusters...I would consider these to be a key detail which Raleigh has retained... that's cool with me... much better than some of the funky alternatives out there. :cool:

Attachments

• wolverine_org_v2_dropouts_800.jpg
    wolverine_org_v2_dropouts_800.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 395
Re: Re:

torqueless":2f32pivi said:
Like most extreme positions, the extreme positions in the dropout slot were not actually intended to be used.
i'm not sure. the older 70's dropout harked back to an era when one bike did all. So extreme forward for competition where frame stiffness was paramount and extreme back for that hostelling weekend where springiness and fatter tyres were used. Plus longer dropouts allowed use of a flip-flop hub with 2 different ratios.

on another note, some appear to be taking a less than friendly tone on this thread

Exactly, I do this on my Holdsworth Mistral when I take it gravel grinding. Switching from 25mm tyres to 37's I have to raise the pads slightly as the wheel move's back. :)

Attachments

• rps20201002_135038.jpg
    rps20201002_135038.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 375
  • rps20201002_135416_591.jpg
    rps20201002_135416_591.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 375
Re:

hamster":1jilai9x said:
Love that! Just doing the same thing with that Witcomb you sold me a few years ago!
Really pleased your enjoying it...love to see some pictures of it built up. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back