NEW TI RALEIGH 753 40TH TDF ANNIVERSARY MODEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
....why I'm still tuning to this thread I will never know. Perhaps because it is sooooo bizarre.

If I got it right then, compared to Joops, the seat-tube is 15mm shorter, the head-tube 10mm longer, and the fork blades are 5mm longer? At least no one can accuse Raleigh of short changes to the buyers on 753 then. Actually, you get more 753 with the Anniversary - since there are two fork blades, you are getting 5mm more. :LOL:

I've trawled this thread and watched some dull videos for these numbers, but I've done my level best to put it in the right perspective.

Woz":2cv6e3x2 said:
....why I'm still tuning to this thread I will never know. Perhaps because it is sooooo bizarre.

I know what you mean....

My head keeps thinking;

A. Build an exact (As practicability possible) replica... Yes
B. Build a high end modern but steel homage..Yes
C. Build a half arsed replica/homage for £2.5k..... Why? If that’s what you want, buy a Gran Sport or Record Sprint off of eBay, order some stickers from H Lloyd & crack open your rattle cans!

Woz said:

Well I have nowt else to do . Layed up with a, as yet unknown bug , going for a blood test next week . No riding for the last 2 weeks :cry:

It makes for light hearted reading {Twaddle on my behalf} + its going to be a longggggggggg November :evil:

Yeah. I'm all for retro, retro-mod, modern-retro, but this just seems placed wrong in a very awkward in between. This thread
suggests it's upset the purist fanatic down to decal level (?!?!) to those who think it's just not a reasonable price tag for a bike / F&F set.

Personally think it would have been better to say a "A 40th TdF Tribute Bike" with the classic Raleigh paint job, 1 1/8" threadless fork, 135mm rear spacing, clipless, STIs, good tyre clearance, and not be shy about a sloping top-tube and try to make it a modern classic.

Hell, Kona, Surely and Planet-X to name just a few have been successful at turning out modern retro looking steel with a resonable price tag. The 753 was not a bad idea, but let's be honest, there is other decent steel out there too plenty good enough for it's intended purpose.

If they actually tapped into the current state of cycling, ie. a mode of transport or exploring your immediate surroundings during a global pandemic then it would have had a large appeal, looked good, and was practical. Instead trying to re-create a 40 year old race bike that nobody will race, nor be able to show off at a cafe or club-run is a bit of a blunder to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back