New project 1993 Orange Clockwork XT

lee51428

Dirt Disciple
Hi

I'm new here and just bought myself an Orange Clockwork frame and forks and will be building this up. I first bought an Orange Clockwork in 92 and it was awesome, raced it and mountain biked everywhere, then crashed it, bent the forks and gave it away, which I've always regretted, so now I'm looking at building one up and riding it again.

The one I've got has been powder coated white a few years back, not sure if the forks are original. The frame number as far as I can see is A304 0890. Can anyone shed any info on this? I believe it's 1993.

Not sure on what I'm going to do build and colour wise, is there anywhere that can be recommended for a place to source parts and what is the preference with paint, is it painting or powder coating?

Any help and info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Lee

Attachments

• IMG_4196.JPG
    IMG_4196.JPG
    847.6 KB · Views: 563
  • IMG_4197.JPG
    IMG_4197.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 563
  • IMG_4198.JPG
    IMG_4198.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 563
Re:

Hi Lee, welcome to the Orange club!

The serial number suggests a April 93 frame so one of the last batches before the change to C16.

Parts wise you can source anything you need on this site. You need to decide what groupset you want then off you go! Clockworks usually use wheels built with Mavic 231 rims so that's a good place to start. With the paint it depends what you want to do. If you just want a single colour you may as well get it powder coated but if you want one of the fade paint jobs then wet paint is the way to go. For decals contact Gil_M on here as he has them all on file.

Ultimately it will come down to what you want to achieve and how deep your pockets are as you can spend a tiny amount to get it up and running or a whole load going high end with fancy paint and mint parts.

Re:

Great place to start :cool: Looking forward to seeing it come along.
As above, you can find most parts & tonnes of advice / help here, so you've come to the right place!

Re: New project 1993 Clockwork

Another Orange project! Fantastic. Welcome to Retrobike, look forward to your build :)

Re:

Thanks for all the messages. Looking at getting the frame powder coated and just got hold of this 1989 Clockwork with XT groupset so I'll be using this bike to build up the new one. :D

Attachments

• IMG_4241.JPG
    IMG_4241.JPG
    947.1 KB · Views: 458

I'd be tempted to do that 89'er up with the down tube cable guides for both mechs unless it's too small. Haven't seen many of them! Or do both of course.

Build so far. Had the bike powder coated and took a chance with the grey, seems to have come out ok. Just need to get a chain, cables and handlebar to get the bike going. Decals to be ordered too.

Attachments

• bike.JPG
    bike.JPG
    929.4 KB · Views: 374
Back