New mystery build! Yes, it's a ZASKAR!

WandsworthRouleur":bxpyr706 said:
As the weather has picked up from 'basically freezing' to 'tolerably cold', The Boy and I decided to start building up his Zaskar.

Here's how things started out...
IMG_8026_zpswaqiyo3j.jpg

Hit a bit of a snafu with the star fangled nut. More build photos to follow...

I can only see one hub?

Re:

Well spotted! The other hub is still attached to my Pace. Need to swap out the M737 hub from that and build up a new Hope Ti-Glide and X517.

Also need to test whether a Ringlé H2O is useable on such a small frame.

In the meantime, I have some serious percussive maintenance to do on a fecked star fangled nut...

This is going to look great when built.

In regard to finding elastomers soft enough, could you not just run them on one side and run the other side without/empty.
I've done this on some Marzocchi Shivver SC's with only 1 sprung leg for my son. Just an idea.

cheers
Chris

Factory Jackson":1dwsnsad said:
This is going to look great when built.

In regard to finding elastomers soft enough, could you not just run them on one side and run the other side without/empty.
I've done this on some Marzocchi Shivver SC's with only 1 sprung leg for my son. Just an idea.
Thanks, I hope so too!

I've ditched the idea of elastomers, partly because the Indy forks only had one sided elastomers anyway (and nothing to control preload or rebound). The RC36s are air and oil, so easier to drop the pressure and get a lighter weight oil.

That and I've already cut and drilled the Indy elastomer to refurb the RC35s on Mrs R's Orange P7. :LOL:

i see this and the manitou modification link, i now wish i had made an offer on one in the usa that needed love.i have a set of gt billet cranks of a trials bike that would make the build .........damn you bank account why can you not just stay full !!!!!

i look forward to completed photos!!

So, having spent a fair while trying to sort out a fecked SFN in the forks, not much time to build things up.

Here's a photo of how things look right now:
2i94kSh.jpg

The rear brakes are binding a bit. No idea why, so that'll take a bit of time to sort. I need to drop the front brakes by an inch for the 24" wheels. The fork air pressure needs lowering, and possibly a light oil put in the damper. I might reduce the travel a bit too as the A to C is looking pretty tall on the mock up.

While the front wheel looks nice enough, those spokes are waaay too long (thanks to SJS giving me the wrong ERD for the rims), so new spokes needed.

Then just need to nab the M737 hub of my Pace and build it onto the rear rim (with new spokes. Doh! :facepalm: ).

We're getting close... :LOL: :p

Well, while going through my posts getting rid of all the Photobucket nonsense, I realised that I haven't updated this post in a while.

Since (ahem, May 2017), I've got the right length spokes, removed the M737 hub from my Pace, dealt with the dodgy rear brake, fixed the forks and got it all (almost) ready to go.

Here's what it looked like in the Summer:
GZfysmA.jpg

Pretty sweet, though I say it myself.

Two snags, however:
  • The crown from the Onza Mongo is a bit loose on the Pace steerer, so needs a Coke can shim
  • The Boy is still a bit too small for the bike. Must admit, this one got built up a little quicker than I expected!

While I wait for him to grow, I thought I might do a bit of a fork swap around. Basically move these off on to Mrs Rouleur's P7 to replace the slightly dodgy RC-35s. Move onto this from my P7 single speed a set of radiator crown RC-36 forks that are already set up very soft and short travel (and the yellow decals will better match).

mynchiboy":18hwxfhs said:
It's a 1995 Zaskar in 'Shimano Youth Series' size, created as a kit for use with 24" wheels. Very cool if so!

Do I win :?:

You must have completely missed this, he guessed it way back on page two while you were still making us guess on page four....D'oh!

Back