New mystery build! Yes, it's a ZASKAR!

I'm running an avid BB7 front on my merlin with a v-brake rear, means I can keep the matching brake levers. Gives cracking braking.

It would be fairly feasible to modify a Manitou 2/3 or Comp to suit, pretty sure the dropout lugs can be separated with the right approach and shortening the internals would be a doddle. Manitou 2 or Manitou Comp would be simplest as you could just cut the required amount off the legs once broken down and remove the required amount of elastomers, the 4 will require a varying amount of faff by comparison.

Here is a 20" version:

http://faqload.com/faqs/bicycle-compone ... fork-build

I think it would be an inexpensive experiment.

shogun":2wdcrk7p said:
Rockshox Indy is another good candidate, you could run the SL version for a sporty look.

http://forums.mtbr.com/families-riding- ... st11476916
I actually read that post last night. Looks achievable, though I'm a little wary about messing with the dropouts. RS forks do belong on a Zaskar though!

I still reckon the Pace route is more achievable. But Pace on a Zaskar? And I'd struggle to get elastomers soft enough, so probably looking at a spring conversion too. Hope The Boy isn't expecting to ride his bike anytime soon (lucky he still has a 20" Islabike to ride him over!).

I'd not seen those pictures before. Intrigued by the 24" Mag 21s -- didn't know such a thing existed (bikes originally came with Ballistic forks, I understand).

Also interesting that the frame in those photos is 6061 (like full size Zaskar) whereas the 24" ones I'm aware of were 7005 (why? No idea!). Maybe a different model year -- the decals certainly look earlier.

On a related note, a set of RS Indy forks arrived today. Cheap enough for some experimentation with my drill and Dremel!

I thought it about time for an update on Mini Rouleur's Zaskar.

We've been slowly accumulating bits, and now have pretty much everything apart from cranks and rims. So, pretty much ready to start building!

It was a lovely afternoon in Kentshire, so we've been outside polishing the frame. Well, mostly me polishing, and The Boy watching. There's a bit of patina there, but otherwise it's looking good. I'll get a photo up soon.

For the fork, I've decided against messing with the RS Indy dropouts, and bought a bargain Pace RC36 Evo II set from the Bay of E. Mainly because the brake studs are on an aluminium clamp that can be moved, but also because I can lower the air pressure and oil weight to suit a 25 kilo boy. Suitable elastomers for the Indy seem a) expensive, and b) hard to come by.

So, we start assembling tomorrow!

Oh, as far as spec goes, it's a bit of a mix of ancient and modern! Suitably small retro stuff is tough to find!

Spec Sheet
- [x] Frame: GT Zaskar ‘Kids’ 24” wheel, #AS4090507, 1946g

- [x] Fork: Pace RC36 Evo II (£71)

- [x] Headset: onZa Mongo 3 (£23)
- [x] Stem: Kore 90mm (£6)
- [x] Handlebar: Tioga DL2000 (£20)
- [x] Grips: onZa Ules yellow (£5)

- [x] Brakes: XTR 950 V-Brake to match existing
- [ ] Brake Pads:
- [x] Brake Cables: Jagwire yellow (£11.50)
- [x] Brake Levers: Avid 2.0 Speed Dial (£25)

- [x] Shifters: XTR 950 RF+ pod, LHS only
- [x] Front Derailleur: none
- [x] Rear Derailleur: XTR M910
- [x] Derailleur Cables: Jagwire as above
- [x] Cassette: 11-32 Shimano 8 speed
- [ ] Chain: KMC
- [ ] Cranks: Thorn 150mm 94BCD
- [x] Crank Bolts: Shimano
- [x] Chainrings: 32T narrow-wide 94BCD
- [x] Chainring bolts: Aerozine Blue (£7.50)
- [ ] Bottom Bracket: UN55 73x107mm
- [ ] Pedals: DMR V8 copy colour matched

- [ ] Hub Skewers: Hope Blue?
- [ ] Rims: Kinlin XM250 24" 32H (440g)
- [x] Rear hub: XT Parallax 32h (existing)
- [x] Front hub: White Industries 32h (£25)
- [ ] Nipples: DT Swiss 12mm
- [ ] Spokes: 248mm front, 248/246 rear. DT Swiss Competition DB?
- [ ] Tyres: Schwalbe Smart Sam 24" €17 or Rocket Ron 24" €20: https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=196486
- [ ] Tubes: Schwalbe 24"

- [x] Saddle: Madison Trail Youth (£12)
- [x] Seatpost: 27.0 Tioga (£15)
- [x] Seatpost Binder: Hope blue (£:cool:
- [ ] Bottle cage: Ringlé H2O blue
- [x] Other bolts: Blue M5 (£2.50)

As the weather has picked up from 'basically freezing' to 'tolerably cold', The Boy and I decided to start building up his Zaskar.

Here's how things started out...
DsgTVtJ.jpg

Hit a bit of a snafu with the star fangled nut. More build photos to follow...

Latest posts

Back