New Funk Fat® forks - read this if you want one!

I think a price, even if approximate / an educated guess, and photos would help Caspar. I'm sure the interest will be there but people would feel more comfortable knowing how much they are going to pay and what they are going to get for it. More information will generate much more interest. I love the idea and I'm not even a Funk guy but I just think it's hard to get solid commitment from people when providing just an idea and only such limited details. People are visual nowadays, they want to see exactly what they are going to get...

Star12

I get it... but we need a hook for Daryl to want to do this. I get the impression that he doesn't really revisit his old stuff, so we need a carrot! Back by popular demand....

With regards to what we're asking for, well it's a "Funk Fat fork III". The box crown Fat fork cracked, so a unicrown version was made and as far as I can tell that was around from 1992 to 1994. Production numbers were very small as everyone wanted suspension by that point, which is why they're so rare now and command such a high price when they do come up for sale.

As I said at the beginning this might not happen so I'm trying to manage expectations. If we can get over ten, then the onus is (hopefully) on Daryl to come up with the drawings and a price.

IMG_4450.jpeg IMG_1034.jpg

No wonder the box crown Fat fork cracked if you build it out of Easton E9 tubes.

I suspect some were and some weren't. Daryl told me a while ago that he used .095" tubing, whereas some of his competitors chose to go with the thinner walled stuff and they had quite a few recalls due to breakages - he thought he had fewer.

j371747882.2.jpg

The main problem is getting the bend right on the unicrown type fork. Something that is very difficult. As I understand Klein had to get Boeing in to find the correct method of bending the tubing...
J

Last edited:
That is correct. I know first hand from Gary Klein, that he had a friend working in the plane-industry and was able to bend him the tubes correctly. Charging him 1$ per bend in the beginning.

I also talked to Dan Chambers about that topic a couple of times over the last 2 years. Discussing a re-run of the KLEIN forks. To cut it short: "No, forget it!"

Huge (!) investments must be made to be able to produce the a) tapered tubes (maybe not relevant for FUNK) but especially the top-bend of the leg-tubes are nearly impossible to get for a normal human being.

Back