i hate some of you, you've made me want one of these . . .

Re: i hate some of you, you've made me want one of these . .

did you know of them before this thread? (just curious)

Love the workmanship and creative attention to detail but some of those bikes are purely decorative. Nowt wrong with showcasing your customisation talent though :)

Totally agree with the concept that its a connection to certain brands/people that affects our buying habits.

actually if you watch the video, you'll see Erik talking about the bikes and answering that exact statement, they are all functional riding bikes, yes they have a creative artistic look but all are bikes to be ridden. that said the chainsaw chain was removed from the evil dead bike! :shock:

alot of bikes at NAHBS are show pieces, no doubt about that, but most are either for customers who agree for the bikes to used as show bikes (sometimes get a small discount) or are sold after the show, which can be good if the show bike happens to be your size as it's a way of getting the brand you want quickly because if it is what you want you can jump that builders queue. :cool:

Tom at Demon Frameworks for example, his show bikes are nearly always customers bikes. ;)

Erik is defo a cool guy to chat to, has a quite different outlook on the bike trade than most.

with his bikes he likes them to be individual to the customer, do it Mark, order one! :twisted: :twisted:

Sod ordering one. I'm making my own in May!
I love the fluted tubing, and cable routing, on that 29er.
I've watched some of the videos on Erik and his attitude is infectious.
It's great seeing people doing something they love and putting their heart and soul into it.
That's why I love the updates from Demon too :cool:

this year Erik is the face of the NAHBS poster, which bearing in mind the reception one of his controversial bikes from a few years ago is almost surprising, that said he and Don Walker (the man behind NAHBS) are very good friends and Erik has helped him out in the past at Don's shop. meeting him in person was cool and it was the first time i heard of the brand aswel, it was fun talking to him and he loves talking to bike nuts like us because we 'get it'.

regarding your build, where are you building? the bicycle academy? i must admit it's something i am/was considering, only for fun though, i'd like to do their build then one or two for myself

jonnyboy666":3fovva1m said:
this year Erik is the face of the NAHBS poster, which bearing in mind the reception one of his controversial bikes from a few years ago is almost surprising, that said he and Don Walker (the man behind NAHBS) are very good friends and Erik has helped him out in the past at Don's shop. meeting him in person was cool and it was the first time i heard of the brand aswel, it was fun talking to him and he loves talking to bike nuts like us because we 'get it'.

regarding your build, where are you building? the bicycle academy? i must admit it's something i am/was considering, only for fun though, i'd like to do their build then one or two for myself

I'd not seen this thread until I did a search for Peacock Groove on here to see it anyone else had seen his work.
I stumbled across that 29er frame while searching for ideas for my own.
As much as I'd like to build something outlandish, I'll be starting off with a simple 29er frame.
Planning a mix of lugs and fillet. I'm hoping that my (long distant!) detail fitting apprenticeship will give me enough of a headstart that I can spend extra time modifying the lugs top make it a bit different.
I'm doing my course in Kent... http://www.downlandcycles.co.uk/frameBuilding.htm
I wanted to walk away with a frame, as this course is a 40th Birthday present from my parents and Girlfriend, and read some good reviews.
Pete (biglev) has been a big help with information too. I visited his workshop a few years ago, when he was first experimenting with frame repairs etc, and he's since talked me through how he's got to the point of now building custom frames for other people... http://levybikes.com/

Been dipping in and out of this thread, the whole fat bike craze, I've got mixed thoughts on. Before I go on, I have been running a fat fronted bike for around 15 months and love it. I have ridden full fats and agree they are fun; But I can't help thinking that in a year or so there will be an awful lot up for sale once the fad passes. ( which is great as I will probably be able to buy a cheap one!) I don't know why, maybe its the speed at which people are rushing out to buy them.

Time will tell but there are some lovely looking fat bikes out there and interesting that the like of Specialized are producing them.

Back