New frame, new project (touring EG Bates frame, 531)

A custom fork would be way too expensive. I can build the whole buy for that price, probably.

SJS has some nice forks, the only one with 1' steerer are also very cheap, £35!

Are the canti studs made,for 27" or 700c wheels? That will have a bearing on the fork you buy
The difference between 27 and 700 is pretty small in any case, no?
Probably with canti either would be good as there is more play in shoe position than with caliper brakes. At least if talking about short reach

I think with cantis, they are brazed to have an optimal fit
V brakes probably are more tolerant to moving the blocks up or down as the arms are near vertical.
Some better Deores have block movement.
The older style mafac/weinmann/frogleg style offer no vertical movement, just a tilt of the block so it might not hit the rim squarely.

Calipers are easiest, you just buy the reach that fits

I will try tomorrow. It will be quick to just put the cantis on and try a wheel.
It will also helpt me decide what fork to get.

Following the link provided by @hamster I saw that SJS has a very cheap fork that would suit me, but I am now wondering if I should instead go for a threadless option, so that I have easier life choosing a stem that suits me and I could fit modern 31.8 handlebars.
And yes, I could just use an adapter (which I also already have), but those things are so ugly I can't stand them (although something tells me that's exactly what I will end up doing)

I will try tomorrow. It will be quick to just put the cantis on and try a wheel.
It will also helpt me decide what fork to get.

Following the link provided by @hamster I saw that SJS has a very cheap fork that would suit me, but I am now wondering if I should instead go for a threadless option, so that I have easier life choosing a stem that suits me and I could fit modern 31.8 handlebars.
And yes, I could just use an adapter (which I also already have), but those things are so ugly I can't stand them (although something tells me that's exactly what I will end up doing)
There are some 31.8 capable 1" quills around, but they aren't that pretty either.

I think with cantis, they are brazed to have an optimal fit
V brakes probably are more tolerant to moving the blocks up or down as the arms are near vertical.
Some better Deores have block movement.
The older style mafac/weinmann/frogleg style offer no vertical movement, just a tilt of the block so it might not hit the rim squarely.

Calipers are easiest, you just buy the reach that fits
I think you can move the blocks a fair bit with this style of canti which may allow for a wheel swap

Back