1' threadless fork - can you double check that what I am plannig makes sense?

The plan is fine, the steerers are the same thickness so no problem at all. The only thing I would avoid is clamping a stem around any left over threaded part.

Interestingly, I bought a used bike that had a threaded fork with a threadless headset (1 1/8th in my case). The previous owner had just banged a star nut into the threaded fork and used it threadless. The stem fastened on adequately. I ended up selling the frame, but I don't see why you would need to cut the threaded section off. If you want more grip for the stem I'd consider adding expoxy or metallic putty to the threaded section to facilitate the threadless stem.

Interestingly, I bought a used bike that had a threaded fork with a threadless headset (1 1/8th in my case). The previous owner had just banged a star nut into the threaded fork and used it threadless. The stem fastened on adequately. I ended up selling the frame, but I don't see why you would need to cut the threaded section off. If you want more grip for the stem I'd consider adding expoxy or metallic putty to the threaded section to facilitate the threadless stem.
If you check the thickness of the threaded section vs the normal section of the steerer you might find it's quite filigree-almost dangerously so. If something cracks/breaks around there when riding, chances are the federal witness protection program would soon beg on its knees for the easy recipe to alter one's appearance...

If you check the thickness of the threaded section vs the normal section of the steerer you might find it's quite filigree-almost dangerously so. If something cracks/breaks around there when riding, chances are the federal witness protection program would soon beg on its knees for the easy recipe to alter one's appearance...
I'm no engineer / material scientist, so take my experience with a healthy dose of salt I suppose.

Back