New frame, new project (touring EG Bates frame, 531)

Ugo51

Retro Guru
Hi guys,

I got my hands on a Bates frame and I intend to make a bike to use for light toruing, cross-crountry, commuting...
I haven't received the frame yet, so the photos are from the ad.
It's not in a nice shape, and part of the reason I bought it was to "save it", and I am really looking forward to make it again into a functional bike.

As is it going to be a beater, I am undecided whether to leave it as is (but probably there is too much rust) or to re-coat it. Either way, this project is going to be a budget one, so I am keeping an open mind as to what it will look once done.

First off, I'll need a fork...

Looks like that's lived a hard life. I think a Soma lugged fork would go well with that frame if you're willing to pay for one or can get one used.

Are the canti studs made,for 27" or 700c wheels? That will have a bearing on the fork you buy

It sure needs some love.
I think I will build it and if I like it strip it and repaint it.

I haven't checked yet but I suspect they are for 700c wheels.
I was actually thinking to buy a cheap generic 700c fork. They weigh a ton (up to 1.2kgs) but they are very cheap and look really tough.

I don't seem to find cheap 700c forks with cantilever lugs. Plenty of nice and cheap fork for caliper brakes but not for cantis

If you're looking for 700c forks with canti studs consider looking at a cheap hybrid with v brakes in Gumtree etc, use the fork, strip the rest for spares

That's would be an idea, but I am trying to get rid of parts because my flat is starting to look like a workshop, so I can't do that.
There are extremely cheap 700c forks with canti lugs on eBay, I just can't quite decide whether I want to go down that route, or get a road fork and use caliper brakes.
I don't see myself using tires wider than 32 so...

Don't know, maybe I should just stop thinking, and start buying ;)

If going for a respray / powder might be easier to remove the canti braze on stuff and use calliper brakes front and back.

Yes, essentially I am undecided if doing that or keep them and go for the canti option.
I can be a bit indecisive at times

Yes, essentially I am undecided if doing that or keep them and go for the canti option.
I can be a bit indecisive at times
Personally I'd go canti if the frame is set up for 700c wheels. And if you are willing to respray I'd get a decent quality fork for it.

Back