New frame, new project (touring EG Bates frame, 531)

There are some 31.8 capable 1" quills around, but they aren't that pretty either.
yeah, not ideal from the aesthetic point of view...

I got myself a pair of RX100 calipers, when they come I will check that what looks like a caliper mount at the back is indeed a caliper mount and not just a hole in the chainstays bridge. If it is, I may consider mounting calipers. I do feel silly leaving the canti lugs and having calipers on. But I would also feel silly chopping the lugs off...

yeah, not ideal from the aesthetic point of view...

I got myself a pair of RX100 calipers, when they come I will check that what looks like a caliper mount at the back is indeed a caliper mount and not just a hole in the chainstays bridge. If it is, I may consider mounting calipers. I do feel silly leaving the canti lugs and having calipers on. But I would also feel silly chopping the lugs off...
I think a number of people have been successful using those fender mount holes to mount dual pivot calipers on mountain bikes as part of a 26" to 700C conversion. I suspect you may need to drill the hole out a bit / widen the back end to accommodate a recessed nut brake caliper. Tektro makes some very long reach dual pivot caliper brakes that can be very handy in wheel conversions - heck you might be able to convert it to 650B and run some fairly fat rubber on it and make it into a gravel bike.

The RX100 calipers I got have 57mm of reach, so they should be more than adequate, IF that's indeed a brake mount.
I'll have a go.
I am not that interested in running super fat tyres, 32-35 are more than enough for my use.

I think I will shelf the project permanently and put the frame for sale.
If someone wants it, give me a shout.
It is badly dented though...

I sort of resurrected the project, but mostly because it pained me to see the frame rusty and in a bad shape.
Now it looks like this.
I tried for the first time Jenolite spray paint and I like it. Easy to get a smooth finish. I chose this somewhat ungodly colour because I wanted to make a beater bike that doesn't attract too much attention when locked in public places and also it's advertised as "machinery paint", meaning it should be more resistant to scratches....

The problem is that now I don't know whether it makes sense to build a bike around it. I didn't manage to fix the dent as well as I would have liked, and more importantly, I don't have the space to store another bike.

Anyway, this is the progress so far...

Attachments

• 20230815_161414.jpg
    20230815_161414.jpg
    381.2 KB · Views: 8
Back