NE&YORKS Noggin and Natter

Well the Dalby is a joint East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire ride so still part of this group.

We're also setting up on the 6th June at Sherwood Pines meeting with the Midlands and Lincolnshire lot. Anyone can of course come (pinned at top of this section)

One problem and why I don't post in here is with Dr S at the helm (only ?) they are all far and wide and while I would love to come I just cannot and neither can most the people near me.
North East/Northumberland :(
South Yorks folk it would be even worse for them and I hope their section gets a lot of interest building up. Plenty of places to ride around there.

Also because this chatter has become or seems to have become the local stomping ground Northumberland-ish area it just doesn't get read by the rest of the group.

Anyways, just to say from what I've seen and heard you've put on some good rides.

But the Sherwood and Dalby have both already been posted in this section, plus our local Hull rides.

Though seems I cannot find the Dalby post, lol.

Fit people who want to get on and ride may not want to come though. Don't mind taking it slow, having a chat and mind if 15 to 20 miles takes half a day. It'll be perfect for you.

I think Dr S has had a pretty thankless task organising this areas rides as in my opinion the area is far too big. Despite being in the same area group myself, fluffychicken who rides with me regularly and others around me are over 140 miles and a good 2 + hour drive from the rest of you in Northumberland.

I am dissapointed to have missed some of the recent rides you have done but I really cant afford to travel that far and although I could have travelled to the Peaks I work every Saturday :(

I now ride regularly with the North Lincs lads and we have a regular fortnightly Sunday ride going on and we usually alternate North and South sides of the Humber bridge to share the tolls and fuel.

I realise these rides are too far for you NE boys to make but hopefully some of you can join us on the 23rd May for our Dalby trip :D

And there we have the problem. We have had plenty of rides in Yorkshire, many in and around Dalby to which the Northumbrians moaned at and the East Yorks lads still considered to be too far away and didn't support. Then we had the rides in the NE that the whole world considered to be too far away and the Northumbrians didn't support. We can't always ride on our own doorsteps and an extra hour of driving always seemed a small price to pay for a good day out and to broaden ones horizons. It is a big area granted but I always tried to spread the rides around- on many occasions I drove over 300 miles to attend, just a shame that others didn't show the same commitment.

It's just impossible to keep anyone happy. Anyway, I've washed my hands of it. It can be someone else problem now.

So no one wanting to take on the job?

I agree an extra hours driving is nothing for a good day out, unfortunately trying to support my family on just my very average wage doesnt leave enough spare cash to afford the fuel :(

I dont know which East Yorks lads moaned that Dalby was too far away?

I attended the last Dalby ride in the thick snow, any Saturday rides organised there I missed through work commitments not through distance.

Me and Ben share the fuel costs and travel up to the Dalby area isnt a problem if I arent at work.

chrisv40":2pvl6h99 said:
I dont know which East Yorks lads moaned that Dalby was too far away?

Where does it say the East Yorkshire lads 'moaned'?

Looking back over the last two years there have been lots of Dalby rides, or rides around the lower slopes of the NY moors, non of which the East Yorks lot came to (apart from the one in January that Sith organised which effectivly sunk the following weekends ride around Rosedale). Although I do recall waiting in the car park for some of you to arrive on more than one occasion.

Its just like Jamie's post on the previous page complaining that all the rides were too far away (ie in Yorkshire).
I put rides on in Northumberland which the northumbrians didn't come to yet moan that I gave them nothing, I put on rides in Yorkshire which you didn't come to and say I gave you nothing.
And here we touch on the real problem- why the area group system is failing. Folk just won't travel and don't consider themselves part of this group (hence the lack of chat from outside the usual suspects too). The only way appears to have a 100 small groups that can put on rides within a 20 mile radius of home. Which kinda defeats the object.

FluffyChicken":z9tqotsh said:
Also because this chatter has become or seems to have become the local stomping ground Northumberland-ish area it just doesn't get read by the rest of the group.

It's here for everyone to use, we wish you guys would join in more often- perhaps if you would have joined in, added to the debate there might have been more willingness on your part to join in on rides or even put on a ride on your own patch for us to come to?

FluffyChicken":z9tqotsh said:
Though seems I cannot find the Dalby post, lol.

Its in another Area Group Section where you left it ;)

Dr S":20937wdx said:
We have had plenty of rides in Yorkshire, many in and around Dalby to which the Northumbrians moaned at and the East Yorks lads still considered to be too far away and didn't support.

My appologies worded that wrong you didnt say we moaned :oops:

I cannot speak for other Yorkshire members but myself and others around this area are willing to travel further than 20 miles which to be honest we do most weekends. Travelling all the way to Ambleside for example is too far for some of us though.

The Sutton Bank ride was one I was really looking forward to, so much so that I booked the day off work well in advance but then the date was changed to fit in with another areas ride (which I do understand was an important one) and I couldnt attend due to work :(

Dr S":5l4slksv said:
It's here for everyone to use, we wish you guys would join in more often- perhaps if you would have joined in, added to the debate there might have been more willingness on your part to join in on rides or even put on a ride on your own patch for us to come to?

I always thought the Area groups initially where to get local people hooked up and that has worked, we are riding locally with people in the area and they know where to look.
Ok so we have to co-operate with another area group but then we both groups are along the border of the groups, seperated by £2.70 each way ;)

So to me the area groups are working. Big rides are not everything to me. I can only go to where I can get too. Which is wherever Chris takes me :LOL:
Since I've only been 'riding' since the start of the year.
There are 2 or 3 other people near me that would like to come for a ride, I doubt they would go too far either but have to just hope they can that day. The other 4 or 5 just don't seem interested :(. But there loss. I enjoy riding locally.

So whoever takes over as AEC (I know in the Lincs & Anglia they have more than one to spread it around the area) all you need to do is keep this area tidy and spur people to create local groups, like the S.Yorkshire one
Once local groups have got a ground then the big area ones should be easier to set up and there is a greater pool oF people riding.

Why not stay on as you local AEC, and say put ChrisV40 as this area's AEC ;) since he does most the talking with lewis the North Lincs AEC

Once S.Yorks gets established then one can be made there ?

As for rides in our own patch, well We have the Hull thread and have put them up.

And putting things in announcment or sticked tends not to work as a well experienced Admin and mod on other forums, people automatically skim across them when there is more than one or two.

What we really need is an real integrated calendar with the forum. Not sure phpBB has one ?

Dr S":soc1lsxx said:
It’s just like Jamie's post on the previous page complaining that all the rides were too far away (i.e. in Yorkshire).

Tbh I've never went on any retro ride meet, as they didn't\don’t fit in with my schedule\home life\riding.

I was on Holiday for that Thrunton ride, can't remember the other one, also the Yorkshire moors never appealed to me.

I send (almost) a weekly email to 22 riders (only two are members here) and I’ve done for the last 5+ years. I probably only get 1 or 2 riders that come every week, others just pick & choose or ride when they can.

If you log at my blog (goes back to 2006) we used to ride the 7 Stanes, Lakes & Dalby every weekend (so I have travelled). Then marriage, kids, house and responsibility comes along and that changers your priorities, hence when I love night riding.

So now, I can’t really afford to spend more than an hour travelling to ride, yes I’d love to ride the Lakes & 7 Stanes every weekend, but at the moment I can’t, maybe when the kids can dress themselves hopefully.

Back