My tandem wont stop!

Jiveman60

Dirt Disciple
Is it likely to be these pony looking Shimano plastic canti's.
If so is there any reason I cant use side pulls?

Attachments

• 20240212_151732.jpg
    20240212_151732.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 47
Good Braking on a tandem is a must.
What year is your machine?
Back in the day most owners fitted a drag brake on the rear wheel. (If the left hand side of the hub is threaded for one .)
When we bought our tandem back in 2000 I found cantilever brakes lacked stopping power on desents . They were Campagnolo cantilevers. After a scary ride in the peak district I fitted magrua hydraulic rim brakes which sorted out the stopping.

I have a Campagnolo rear tandem hub spare, which is threaded for fitting a drag brake . 130mm wide.

If you go for normal brakes, use dual pivots . They will improve stopping power. You will probably need nut fitting ones . Is the rear bridge drilled ?
A drag brake is a must on long desents. Rims can get very hot .

Last edited:
Is it likely to be these pony looking Shimano plastic canti's.
If so is there any reason I cant use side pulls?
Try V brakes. I’m assuming you have alloy rims. I like the Kool Stop red with the plow ends that toe in and help clean the rims of mud and water. Everyone has a favorite brake shoe so I’m not claiming their the best but they work good for me.

Try V brakes. I’m assuming you have alloy rims. I like the Kool Stop red with the plow ends that toe in and help clean the rims of mud and water. Everyone has a favorite brake shoe so I’m not claiming their the best but they work good for me.
Cheers, as in mimi V's ?
I've never had a good canti, that's why I wondered about a good side pull.
It'll loose its 80s look either way.

Those old shimano pads go hard with age and lose what friction they had when new, which wasn't much !
Know stops as mentioned before.
Toeing in the blocks and lowering the straddle wire also helps.

Those old shimano pads go hard with age and lose what friction they had when new, which wasn't much !
Know stops as mentioned before.
Toeing in the blocks and lowering the straddle wire also helps.
You mean lifting the straddle wire?
Lowering gives less mechanical advantage, but it provides lots of clearance between pad and rim l
A longer straddle wire does the opposite

Lowering the wire increases the mechanical advantage and hence increased force onto the rim. Needs to done with care though but it also means increased adjustments 🤷🏼‍♂️

If you haven't ever used v-brakes give them a try. They should be a direct fit onto the brake stanchions on tbe fork and frame. I remember the first ones I tried in about 1996 and I was blown away by the power and feel.

Back