My Orange Aluminium O - the inch and a quarter dilemma.

You were right got to 'em as quick as could following the tip off!

Payment sent just waiting delivery.... :D

The Ebay seller also came up trumps with the crown race and has posted it to me result!! :LOL:

Bought a cheap Zoom stem of Flea bay just to get up and running! It is light but I'm not sure it's in keeping? Never heard of Zoom, are they any good? Or cheap and cheerful? This is the one I've bought, may get something better when funds allow.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ZOOM-1-1-4-Quill- ... 3a5f6025fe

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Ooops! :( Spoke too soon he's sent me a 1 1/8" crown race!!

Don't suppose anyone has got a 1 1/4" crown race for an Ali O?

Or know where I can get a reasonably priced 1 1/4" threaded headset from?

Have a look at this thread....
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=122815&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

➡️ m900 xtr 1 1/4 headset, was NOS, fitted to my elite, which doesn't get a huge amount of use, removed as that bike is now full xt, this headset is pretty spotless, some fitting marks, the logo is intact though, the plastic washer thing in the top nut has got some small damage due to the stem resting on it. £30

Looks right up your street!

Thanks for the 'heads-up' but I'm now sorted as when my forks arrived they still had a crown race fitted...Problem solved :LOL:

Thanks

Your previous post indicated that you needed a headset - that's what my post was about :LOL:

Calling Ali O owners and those in the know...

What is the front mech correct clamp band width for my Ali O? I mesaured the down tube width with my vernier and it was 33mm but I have realised it is ovalised slightly, so not sure what it should be.

Secondly what is the correct size seat post? Stuck in a 27.2mm and seems to fit but looking on other build threads I saw 27.4mm (?) mentioned.

I might add I haven't actually put a saddle on and sat on it, so I may be deluding myself with the the 27.2mm.

Cheers.

And may the force be with you, always....

JediPaddler":1qt8korm said:
Calling Ali O owners and those in the know...

What is the front mech correct clamp band width for my Ali O? I mesaured the down tube width with my vernier and it was 33mm but I have realised it is ovalised slightly, so not sure what it should be.

Secondly what is the correct size seat post? Stuck in a 27.2mm and seems to fit but looking on other build threads I saw 27.4mm (?) mentioned.

I might add I haven't actually put a saddle on and sat on it, so I may be deluding myself with the the 27.2mm.

Cheers.

And may the force be with you, always....

Do you have a picture of you bike ? A build thread at all ?
Boy 'o' Boy says they are 27.2 but he mentioned to me he uses a coke can shim with his and that others say there's are a loose fit when they use them.

Now my Alu-O (probably the 3rd batch build out of 4 known batches) has a 27.6 shimmed USE post in it. The Shim and post came out of a 4th batch Alu-O look here for some details
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 491#931491
No idea what batch 1 and 2 Alu-O's are like (they don't have a replaceable hanger apparently)

the front mech is only becoming oval near the bottom, you need (or should) use a traditional style mech, aka in the modern world bottom swing

Forgot to get back to you about the headset Jedi. :oops:

Think I've got a threaded one available with crown race if you still need one. PM me again. ;)

Brocklander, don't worry about the headset, now sorted, thanks.

I think mine must be a later Ali O, it has the removal mech hanger, I think.

I'm away on business at the moment, so I'll try and post some pictures at the weekend.

Thanks for the help.

Back