My Frozen Red ‘97 Zaskar…

Lovely build

I have seen a lot of people with dislike of M739 cranks, out of curiosity what's wrong with them? (other than they're soft as flip, I've had two pairs go squishy at the square taper) ;)

Personally love the full M739 group even over the M950 :D
I don't like the look of them too. for me its the aesthetics - they look cheap and riveted

A new set of wheels and tyres meant a shakedown ride up the woods this morning…

IMG_1371.jpeg
IMG_1372.jpeg
IMG_1373.jpeg

…It’s amazing how much attention these old retros get from guys on new generation bikes…The Zaskar went down very well in the car park and out on the trail! 👌🏼

IMG_1375.jpeg
IMG_1370.jpeg

👊🏼

A small bit of chain rash on the stay has had my left eye twitching for a few weeks now, sending me off searching for an original XT Sharkfin with no luck! 🤦🏻‍♂️

After rummaging around the shed I pulled out some old inner tubes and decided that I’d knock up a stay protector…Blue Peter style!

IMG_1442.jpeg
IMG_1443.jpeg

I don’t think it turned out too bad! 👌🏼

IMG_1449.jpeg

So after blowing the dampers out on the forks through hard use through the summer and spotting some perishing to the outer cables, I decided it was time to put her aside and concentrate on the other builds I had on the go at the time (Breezer and Mongoose)…

IMG_2446.jpeg

Whilst it was laid up, I sent the forks up to @justbackdated and gave Tim carte blanche to do what was needed, which included new internals, decals and the removal and replacement of the steerer bolts in the crown after my Allen key snapped off in both of them!!! 🤬

IMG_2445.jpeg
IMG_2447.jpeg

As with everything I do, a ‘small refresh’ has turned into a full rebuild, with a complete new groupset and cranks etc…So I’ll update again when it’s near finished 👍🏼

Back