My 1992 GT All Terra MTB collection

Ganimed

Devout Dirtbag
Hi @ all 👋

I just wanted to show you my 1992 GT collection, including 1992 GT Zaskar, GT Richter 8.0, GT Pantera AL and GT Timberline.

My first real MTB was a 20 inch 1991 GT Talera in colour granite that my parents gifted me for Christmas that year. I was 15 yo at this time. Since this day I'm a big fan of GT All Terra bikes. Over the years I also had a 1991 GT Team Avalanche and also a 1998 GT Xizang and I still have the frame of my GT Talera in the basement. I always had a special relationship to GT bicyles from the years 1991/92. I always loved the nice and elaborate paintjobs and quality of the frames from this special era.

A few years ago I started collecting vintage MTB again and I could not resist adding some GT bikes to my collection. I bought most of them as frame kits and then gradually completed them with parts from this era.

I hope you like them :)

My 19 inch GT Zaskar from 1992
Bild1604.jpg
Same Zaskar but different configuration
DSC00146.JPG
16 inch GT Richter 8.0 from 1992
DSC00083.JPG
20 Inch GT Pantera AL from 1992
GT Pantera AL silver.jpg
18 inch GT Timberline from 1992
DSC00691.JPG

Greetings from Germany
Olli

I believe this is what is referred to as "coming in hot".

; )

A Timberline was the first bike that ever caused me jealousy.

Kid down the road had a cool blue and black one. He could wheelie forever.

I think it was a combination of those two things.

Zaskar's are obviously wonderful machine's.

And as much as GT's don't really scratch the itch for me any longer, I have to say, the top configuration of your Zaskar and the Richter are both really lovely.

Congrats on a great collection!

Now, what else do you have hidden away!?

Now, what else do you have hidden away!?

Thank you :)

I love all of my vintage bikes but GT was my first love 🥰

That's probably why I'm such a big fan of this particular brand today.

Yeah... what else is hidden in my garage? There are for example: Alpinestars Al-Mega XTR from 1992, Parkpre Team 925 from 1995, Indian Arrow from 1993, Centurion Titanium SX from 1992-94, Marin Nail Trail from 1994, SBike Daytona 726 from 1992, Mongoose Amplifier from 1993, Manitou FS from 1994, Bike-Tech Japy from 1992, Fat Chance 10th Anniversary from 1992 and a Yo Eddy from the same year, Breezer Beamer from 1993...

Most of the time I drive on my Centurion Titanium as my daily rocker. Centurion is a german brand but these Ti-Frames were made by Sandvik in the USA from 1992 to 1994 and they are similar to the Dean Titanium frames or Diamond Back Ti frames from this era. It makes so much fun to ride on such a lightweight bike (8.4 Kilos). I build it up in oct. 2019. Still my favorite ;)
Bild4398.jpg
Bild3727.jpg
Bild6964.jpg Bild3938.jpg
Bild3728.jpg

regards
Olli

Love that Richter :cool: Looks like a Marin Ti bar/stem on the Centurion?

I particularly appreciate the fact that your parents hooked you up with a 20” at 15.. and you seem to have got progressively shorter since then, such that you have a 16” Richter these days 😊

I'm 184cm in height and 20 inch was okay when I was 15y.o. The salesman in the shop was of the opinion that I was still growing and that it would be better to take a 20 inch bike instead of an 18 or 19 inch frame. I drove the Talera for about 5-6 years.

DSC01087.JPG

But I personally prefer to ride 19 or 18 inch bikes because I find them more manoeuvrable. The 16 inch GT Richter is an exception. I don't actually drive it. It's more of a collector's item and I think it looks great in 16 inches. :cool:

greetings,
Olli

Love that Richter :cool: Looks like a Marin Ti bar/stem on the Centurion?

Yes, it is indeed a Marin Titanium bar/Stem combi with 155mm in length. I had a Litespeed Ti stem fitted first, along with a Shogun Zero Titanium handlebar. I didn't like that though because the stem was too steep for me. I prefer flat and long stems. Bild2725.jpg

But a lot of tuning was done on the bike, which you can't even see. For example, I swapped the steel freehub body of the XTR M900 rear hub for the titanium freehub body of an XTR M950 hub (with bearing damage), just like the steel axle of the M900 for the titanium axle of the M950. The M900 front wheel hub also got a titanium axle from SRP. That brings a total weight saving of at least 64 grams. :cool:

Bild3120.jpg
DSC00845.JPG

Greetings
Olli

Latest posts

Back