Muddy Fox Courier Comp

Very good condition just like i expected and some of those scratches in the paint work should T-cut out and mountain lx was fairly decent bitd infact it's better than the modern equivilant imo so am i right in thinking that those rims are Araya as they'll be 100% original if they are as that's the original company that made these lovely steeds ..

A little bit frustrated :( Not been able to start on this with other things going on. Will do asap and will report back as soon as there is any news. :D

so am i right in thinking that those rims are Araya as they'll be 100% original if they are as that's the original company that made these lovely steeds ..

You are correct, well done. You are adding to my excitement. :D :D :D

I wasn't sure wether they were made by Araya or not as i had seen similar ones years ago which were made by a totally different company so yes those lovely rims are 100% original to your bike then :cool: and on the earlier Muddy Fox's it actually said Araya on the top tube decal with the model name ..

Managed to make a start today. I intend to fully clean and adjust/examine everything. It is looking good at the moment. I will assess the situation as I go along.

My first purchase for it are a couple of Retrobike stickers!! :)

The wheels are cleaning up nicely although the spokes on the rear wheel are a little corroded. Maybe a winter project to rebuild them. The cassette has very little wear.

A good check through everything takes time but is well worth it and a good clean will reap it's own rewards and Retrobike stickers are the best advertisement for the club although after 2 years of membership i still don't have except on the wifes bike that is ..

If it's only fairly light corrosion just a good clean with some fine wire wool could see it sparkle again ;) .

I bet alot of those parts haven't seen much action you know as their was a fair few people when mtbs were becoming popular bitd who bought them because they looked cool and then got tired with the idea of actually exerting themselves even though they never ventured off road which is their loss and your gain ;) ..

These are great bikes (I had one sometime ago) and 89 was probably Muddyfox's best year. That bike looks to only be missing original Tyres, Saddle and Pedals, but don't sweat that as they were all quite weak. The best thing to do with these is an upgrade to Full Mountain LX (which is basically Deore LX) as it replaces the functional, but heavy and cheap looking Exage Country with some decent quality parts and will shave quite a bit of weight off. Do that and add a set of amberwalls and you'll have a great looking and very rideable classic.

Carl.

drcarlos":2cevatz2 said:
These are great bikes (I had one sometime ago) and 89 was probably Muddyfox's best year. That bike looks to only be missing original Tyres, Saddle and Pedals, but don't sweat that as they were all quite weak. The best thing to do with these is an upgrade to Full Mountain LX (which is basically Deore LX) as it replaces the functional, but heavy and cheap looking Exage Country with some decent quality parts and will shave quite a bit of weight off. Do that and add a set of amberwalls and you'll have a great looking and very rideable classic.

Carl.

Many thanks for your comments. Already on the saddle replacement and pedals will be SPD. I haven't sourced any amberwalls yet. I would really like some 1.5's or maybe 1.75's These are what I used to race on. Any ideas where I can find them?

1.75" tyres are what i'd choose for the extra cushioning to help protect the rims and you can get hold panaracer tan wall re issue tyres from what i've heard on the forum although i've got a nearly new pair of 2.1 tan wall Splashbacks off one of the guys on here and i'm well pleased with them ..

Muddy paw":3i64ip25 said:
1.75" tyres are what i'd choose for the extra cushioning to help protect the rims and you can get hold panaracer tan wall re issue tyres from what i've heard on the forum although i've got a nearly new pair of 2.1 tan wall Splashbacks off one of the guys on here and i'm well pleased with them ..

Not much clearance on these frames after fitting a 2.1 splashback, well suited to a 1.8 splashback though.

Carl

Latest posts

Back