Mountain Cycle Suspenders II + ProStop

BigSud

Dirt Disciple
I have a '93 San Andreas that absolutely MUST have a set of these epoch-making forks, and the disc brake that makes them possible :D

What's out there? I watch eBay religiously, check craigslist and PinkBike - and yet I'm still denied.

There MUST be a set just sitting one someone's shelves waiting for this post...surely?

Re:

Hey Mate.
I share your frustration!! I have been searching for Suspenders I ,II or III for close on 20 years and have not had any luck ....nobody ever replies. I certainly wonder where all the products which Mountaincycle once produced,have mysteriously disappeared to ??

Good luck searching.
Rgds,
Roy.

Re:

There are people like me who are MC hoarders! But I do not have the bits you want. There are on Facebook two Mountain Cycle pages, try there too.

Wow - I'm pretty sure they weren't there last week so well done for spotting them. But at that price, they'll stay there!

I'll check out the FB pages, thanks for that tip.

But there does seem to be a bit of a mysterious lack of Suspenders being traded - and it looks like I'm not the only one to have noticed it, which is reassuring. I thought I was doing something wrong :(

It has got me thinking though - these are not complicated forks. Somebody on RB has an owners/service manual which explains nicely how they work - and suspension technology has moved on: I have some Dorado SCs which are more than stiff enough (20 mm thru-axle, anyone?) and disc brakes now work properly. I also have a good lathe in my new mancave, and I know how to use it.

Because I'm really after the look of these forks (earlier ones than the $750 PB seller's, with the offset in the crown rather than the axle), so I wonder about just copying the aesthetics and making a (say) 3" fork with more modern internals and materials. Not the work of a moment, but still...is that something anybody would be interested in seeing happen? I'll start a thread on the chat pages if so.

Chris

Re:

Yea I have a few pairs first gen (91) I, II and III but they are all in use and not for sale. There have been a few of them up for sale over the last couple of years so keep an eye out as they do pop up every now and then.
I have a set of II's that are the leftovers from a build that I'm happy to donate/karma if you pay shipping from OZ to NZ?
I consider them fubar. The red ano has faded, missing steerer and elastomers, top caps are rough but could be salvaged in the right hands......

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 618
PM sent. Most generous of you to step forward.

An assumption of fubar is a good starting point, although they certainly don't look to be fubar bigtime.

Were you the one that has the copy of the service manual?

Cheers

Re:

Cool, all yours. Yea the photo makes them look ok and I guess I'm comparing them to my others.....
Not me who scaned the manual but I do have the same copy.
Glad to see them get a new lease on life
Pm sent. :cool:

Re:

I might have a steerer tube. I swapped one out years ago for a titanium one.
I have a ProStop you can have, and also the small folded metal cable-stop for those particular forks. Maybe even a return spring that sits between it and the actuation lever.
I can get into the box of old bits probably the middle of next week.
PM me if you don't hear anything as I have a lot on at the moment.

--smiffy--

Awesome :)

Thanks smiffy - and it's not "any old" Pro-Stop either - coming from you its one I drooled over BITD :) :)

Cheers
Chris

Back