Mountain Cycle San Andreas Rebuild

Grrr. That's annoying. I've posted a box of stuff off to an anodisers in Colne, only for them to email me today saying they don't really want to do red on 7075 aluminium.
I wish they'd mentioned that before in the various emails and phone calls.

Whilst anodising 7075 does appear to be not as easy as other types of alu, it doesn't seem impossible. Anybody got any recommendations for anodisers who WILL do it?

Where we are today...
47987071041_a3e922b871_c.jpg

47987070446_53134d0d7a_c.jpg

The main spar is still the vapour blast finish. It gets mucky very easily. I’m not sure it’s such a good idea. All the blandness of silver paint with none of the benefits.

Mock up with bits in garage. Not the final forks.
47987066571_7d7b933613_c.jpg

[/quote]

I’ve actually polished the sides of the top mount and the two bolt circles and welds. You can’t really see it here.

I've had my frame back from powder coating and it looks like this

48050357416_c0d854da33_c.jpg

Should it be like that, like orange peel or Hammerite? I kinda think it should be glassy smooth.

I'm really stuck now on what to do. The shiny clearcoat (that I never asked for or wanted) has shown up a dent in the top part of the box, RH side.
I'm thinking that I'll get the powder coat people to strip back their failed coat and give it back to me as vapour blasted again, effectively wasting 2 weeks. Then I'll do the polishing bits properly as it won;t matter if I run over off the welds, then fill the dent and cable gouges like a car body repair.
Then I can paint it myself exactly how I want it.

BUT... red main spar, or flat grey/silver? I think either would be matt finish to highlight the shiny bits. Just don't know whether main red would go with a red headset, stem etc.

I don't think red main is going to work unless you change the colour of all the nice red components.
Silver/Grey, or back to black but maybe a high gloss to work with the polished rear and seat tower.
My earlier frame is a chrome finish from factory on all the parts, it's not polished.

Not the best pic. I think a contrast between frame and seat tower/rear would look better.

Attachments

• San An2.jpg
    San An2.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 566
I see your point. Mine will be like that (very nice by the way), but a bit more red anodised bits such as fork crown, outer ring, pedals. Same hubs though, but with black rims, spokes and red nipples (easy!)

Matt silver and polished alu might be too close. Maybe a darker flatter grey on the main spar. I have both red and grey decals though.

I've a different shock on this one now, and have a set of black 521s on red biguns with red nipples too... which I'm tempted to run.
Going to run a more modern drivetrain I think and most likely change the forks; I've a set of 130mm White Bros which would work but I'd be going less DH setup.

Thats exactly what I#ll be building. Dish on the front wheel I presume too for the disc. I've noticed the hubs cups vary in length from 19 to 21mm to space the disc to fork/brake.

Last wheels I built where fairly standard by modern comparison.

Re:

There are several different lengths of the 20mm end caps so I got this list from hope.

20mm hope spacers measurements
Disc/Non Disc
Big un pre 05
21mm/19mm
Big Un 05-On
20mm/18mm
Bulb Splined
13.5mm/13.5mm
Bulb 6 bolt
19mm/13.5mm
Pro 2/ EVO/ Pro 4
19mm/19mm