Mountain Cycle San Andreas Rebuild

Ah really?
I hadn't really considered it and just ran the discs the same way as the trailing spokes. Googly Imaging shows most running the other way so they work more in compression.
Thanks for heads up.

Finally sorted out the forks now, with two heavy springs, correct cartridges in both, 10W oil and thus, the forks sag properly and hold up my bulky mass. Huzzah. Brakes still need bleeding, too squishy still, but I went for a proper ride and by proper I mean 3.5 miles with only about 2/3rds of a mile unmade road and dirt track.
Good god I'm unfit, and it really isn't the bike for XC type riding. Lovely over the bumps though.

Front wheel seemed hard to turn, like there was a gyroscopic effect. Steering would suddenly veer with light inputs. This is the first full sus bike I've ever ridden as my real bike is a light Orange P7 with Pace MXCDs.
Could the heavier tyres and rim make such a noticeable difference? Is the gyroscope thing a red herring and its the angles and massive fork?

dyna-ti":uht8s098 said:
First pic I thought, bet thats tricky on the berms :LOL: :LOL:

If youre interested, these M4's share the same pads across the M4 range inc mini mono, the tech and tech evo m4 and the current e4. Also later mini m4's that you have took the plastic pistons, so replacements should be easy to get in CRC or Hope.
I dismantled the rear clopper and the pistons were metal. Now the brake is perfectly set-up, dead centred and no flex in the disc when brake applied, but still it squeaks madly.
Chamfered the pads but that made no difference.
Spinning it up and braking for a while stops the squeal which I presume is when it heats up a bit, but once cool, it’s back again.

I thought it might be the cheaper Baradine pads I’m using but the front brake doesn’t squeal.

Very nice indeed. :cool:
Red seatpost might just take it over the edge of 'too much red' for me but that's a minor taste issue, and it's not my bike anyway so doesn't really matter! I hope you have trimmed your QR rods to fit by now though. ;)

A riding buddy of mine had one of these BITD and it was a total weapon when pointed downhill. Smiles for miles! :mrgreen:

Ta,. I see what you mean re; the pokey out bit of skewer, but I'm going to leave it original. Well, they're not strictly original anyway being anodised red instead of their original silver.
A dropper post would be very useful indeed, but far too anachronistic for that bike. The Ringle was too pricey to ditch now.

Dibbers":3uk2ia77 said:
You were out of breath because these old DH bikes were never designed to be pedalled anywhere, that geometry with the saddle out of the back wheel, short chainstay length, short wheelbase, long forks. I love it! It's a real beauty, you've really done it justice there chief.

Supratada":3uk2ia77 said:
Thanks. Though I should say I get out of breath opening an email.

I just thought I'd come back to this point, having worked on the bike this week.
I've made some fauxSyncros bars (I'm pronouncing that sin-crow there) so I could get the more modern wider stance yet retain the long Ringle 25.4 stem. Don't worry, I'm not going to sell those bars as fakes, it's purely to maintain the look with my original 580 Syncros bars.

So having played around with the set up again and made the "cockpit" a bit longer and steepened the head angle, I rode it round the block. This is probably 500metres, if that. The tops of my legs were burning with lactic acid and I can still feel it sitting here.

However, a lot has changed since August last year. A few weeks back I rode 18 miles down and up Sutton Bank. OK, its an e-bike helping me but its mostly on Eco except for the big climbs. I've been e-cycling almost every weekend since November and my legs and lungs are definitely a lot stronger, yet the San-An remains an absolute b****r to ride. How on earth did they race them back then?

49761638192_151de37992_o.jpg

49760782453_61e917ffa6_b.jpg

That is one sexy bike you have there sir!

I used to own a San An but mine was a complete wreck and not at all like the stunning creation that you have! ;)

Great work, you should be very proud.

Not going to lie, I miss it like crazy. Somehow I used to manage to do a savage 12 loop on it in its old form, happy days.

Aha, I'd wondered if you'd ever seen this, or maybe didn't want to look at someone else changing your P&J. It's not quite a Trigger's Broom ( or Theseus's Ship for the classically educated riders here) version of your bike as the frame parts and suspension mountings are original, but most of everything else is new to the bike.

I thoroughly enjoyed the whole build process though so thanks for giving me the opportunity to do that. I've not ridden it in anger yet though due to fitness/weight but the modern bike I have is helping with that now.

Saw it a while ago but didn't login, I showed your pictures to some friends who could not believe it was the same bike.

I'm so glad it went to a good home, apart from that very dodgy cable rub it was one of the best I've seen. I bought it used form my LBS, they built it back in the day and it had only had one owner the whole time! I lacked the knowledge and funds (I still do), it would just have been ridden to death and ended up as scrap.

Anyway I had to login just to say that you have done an amazing job and saved another classic!

Good luck with it and like I said before it was a pleasure to meet you.

Back